The "MUST HAVE PLAYERS" who never get used any more ...

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Katz's Killers

Re: The "MUST HAVE PLAYERS" who never get used any more ...

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Meusel, Paul Waner, High, Geronimo, Dom Dimaggio, and Flick...as well as the many others already mentioned. They are less used now because there are so many more options available at every position. Also, the pricing of the cards has become more precise and these cards are now more expensive.

The Last Druid

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 7:07 pm

Maybe not so good memories with Speer. The guy had half a cup of coffee in the bigs and got this card that was too cheaply priced and routinely over-performed anyway,and never should have been in the set in the first place. First players I would lose would be him and Gates Brown, then follow it with Weintraub.

One of the top managers confided to me last week that he offered to reprice the ATG card set for Garcia, gratis. He never even received a response. Very soon he too will join the exodus, along with the redoubtable MarcPelletier, of top players who have abandoned a game they love because Strat-O-Matic management refuses to communicate, to accept help or do anything else to improve the game.

It would really take so little effort for them to reach out to the community and fix the PR horror show that they have become. But they haven't and likely never will as long as Harold Richman is at the helm.

Hittmens

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 10:50 am

The Last Druid wrote:Maybe not so good memories with Speer. The guy had half a cup of coffee in the bigs and got this card that was too cheaply priced and routinely over-performed anyway,and never should have been in the set in the first place. First players I would lose would be him and Gates Brown, then follow it with Weintraub.

One of the top managers confided to me last week that he offered to reprice the ATG card set for Garcia, gratis. He never even received a response. Very soon he too will join the exodus, along with the redoubtable MarcPelletier, of top players who have abandoned a game they love because Strat-O-Matic management refuses to communicate, to accept help or do anything else to improve the game.

It would really take so little effort for them to reach out to the community and fix the PR horror show that they have become. But they haven't and likely never will as long as Harold Richman is at the helm.

"The biggest mystery of Weintraub is why a hitter with a career .295 batting average and capable power (.440 slugging percentage) could never get more than 361 at bats in a big league season -- or top 1,382 career at bats... One biographer cites anti-semitic theories of the time ...."[4]

Weintraub is an enigma. He played from the age of 18 to 37. Mostly in the minors where he was a stud, his best year in the minors was 1939 when he hit .331 with 33 homers.
He finally got a season in the bigs with some at bats in 1944 at the age of 36 and had a very respectable season in 361 at bats. 13 hr 77 rbi and .316/.412/.524 stat line. He was also considered an excellent first baseman.

egvrich

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 9:11 pm

The Last Druid wrote:Maybe not so good memories with Speer. The guy had half a cup of coffee in the bigs and got this card that was too cheaply priced and routinely over-performed anyway,and never should have been in the set in the first place.

The entire concept of All Time Greats is skewed so badly it's a joke. What was Speer back in the day? $0.87 I think? At over $2.00 he still is a value.

The game is full of players that have no business being in the set. And then so many players who have horrible seasons that don't represent their true value. But as you have said so many times Petro, it's never gonna change because they don't care.

It drives me nuts sometimes but I love the game as do so many others, but Strat has never cared about it's customers really, be it cards and dice or here. They do what they want when they want and nothing more.

This game will come to an end sooner or later, it's not if, it's when ... So, many of us lifers are just riding it out til the end.

eveldrive

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 10:05 pm

This game will come to an end sooner or later, it's not if, it's when ... So, many of us lifers are just riding it out til the end.

It ain’t over till it’s over.

dspeters5

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 11:11 pm

Orlando Cepeda was many times a first or second round selection. How about Howard Emhke and Curly Ogden, four day starters, George Mogridge also. I used Toby Harrah and Bill Madlock often.

danielz

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Cepeda, Charlie Keller

honestiago

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 11:15 pm

All I know is I am so sick of seeing Atley Donald, Joel Pineiro, and Gil Heredia.
Last edited by honestiago on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

thetallguy747

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 6:08 am

Yaz. My very first team was near the end of ATG1. I got Yaz but dropped him before the season began. I got scolded by one of the veteran managers in the league "If you're lucky enough to get Yaz, never ever drop him." My team finished last and the manager who scooped up Yaz won his division. It was his 1967 card, the only Yaz card in the player pool at that time. That card was coveted by all the good managers.

honestiago

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 8:09 am

The game does give us tools to shake things up. If more folks would play random player pools and limit BP selections, we’d see variety. Gotta be something between the same OP player cards always being taken and the limited selections of ATG of yore.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats