New use of pitchers

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

lanier64

New use of pitchers

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 11:32 am

I wonder how Hal’s bullpen logic is going to handle Tampa Bay’s new pitching/bullpen set up where they don’t have starters but “openers” and there seems to be no determinate time for them to pitch. They can go one inning or five. I’m still not real clear on how it works, but it seems to be working as their staff is second in the AL in ERA and WHIP. One thing is certain is that other teams will follow. The days of paying five or six guys 10 to 20 million dollars each to throw four to six innings every 5th or 6th day are over. You can get a bunch of cheaper arms and just use them as you need them. It saves a ton of money on pitching and is probably more effective.
But back to my question about Stat do you think they will tweak things for the 2018 season or Baseball Daily to accommodate Tampa Bay? Or have they just given up. By the state of the company at present I think it is the latter. I’m not saying it would be easy to incorporate TBs strategy into an AI for a game but they need to because I think that this is the future of pitching. Thoughts?
Last edited by lanier64 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salty

Re: New use of pitchers

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 11:44 am

lanier64 wrote:But back to my question about Stat do you think they will tweak things for the 2018 season or Baseball Daily to accommodate Tampa Bay? Or have they just given up. By the state of the company at present I think it is the latter.

Ill answer this question as soon as we work on fixing the current BP AI, its only been about 10 years now, so no rush.

geekor

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Well analytics show that every time through the lineup, the hitters have more and more of an advantage. On average a hitters gains .14 wOBA with each time seeing the same pitchers.

TB wasn't the first (Houston started relieving pitchers after 2 times through a few years ago), but it will take more like as the game goes along.

There will always be outliers however, stud pitchers that can go 6+ innings. But for the other guys, it may pay to remove them at the hint of trouble.

rolandzeut

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 12:45 pm

There are two pitchers on the 1986 set with a S1 rating (Bob L Gibson, Juan Agosto), so it seems like they have precedent in doing it. Maybe they'll need to add some options to the pitcher preferences ....

george barnard

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Wow, that Agosto card would make a sick hitter's card...even without a homerun to be seen anywhere:

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/player/30078/1986/1/101

N Texas Widowmakers

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 12:15 am

In the 2018 daily game TAYLOR COLE of the Angels has started two games and pitched one inning in each game. Because of those two one inning starts he is rated as a starter 6 which I don't believe to be accurate or fair. Here is his card:

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/player/93 ... 918/437566

Salty

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 10:28 am

N Texas Widowmakers wrote:In the 2018 daily game TAYLOR COLE of the Angels has started two games and pitched one inning in each game. Because of those two one inning starts he is rated as a starter 6 which I don't believe to be accurate or fair. Here is his card:

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/player/93 ... 918/437566

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The daily game is riddled with holes and inconsistencies- yes, even more than ATG.
I tried the game once and watched the cards carefully-- there really is no point to playing it imho as
the cards really don't change to reflect the stats in any reasonable manner.

Valen

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 4:11 pm

I would think in addition to having the pitchers used as openers they would need to add a bullpen role of primary so that specific pitcher would be used. But that might require the ability to designate the primary for a specific game. I may have to check back in come March and see how they handle this just out of curiousity.

Bet you guys thought I was on permanent leave. :lol:

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats