A Prediction

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Hack Wilson

Re: A Prediction

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 7:21 pm

I agree with the original post here. Also, last night's All-Star game looked more like a love feast, fraternity party where everyone was trying to be uber cool. A red carpet fashion stroll of ballplayers?? Gimme a break!

The game is definitely changing, for the worst, mostly. If starters are devalued, then we will lose a lot of stars and big personalities -- who cares about relievers? The big game starter is the pinnacle of being a pitcher, and if MLB loses that, then it hurts itself in branding and promotion.

Meanwhile, I don't think I've heard a bigger dolt than Rob Manfred, MLB commissioner. He never played the game. He never played the game, repeat. He is a lawyer. And yet, he wants to "open the conversation" about a host of reforms to try to get the millennial generation interested in baseball. A fool's errand. Manfred is a tool of the owner establishment, freaked out over the loss of young people. They will destroy the current game to make money and more money, trust me.

The most fantastic aspect of baseball is its history and culture. The players and teams of days bygone are far more authentic, interesting than the hyped, money-driven people and MLB system of today. Sure, the old days involved money and greed too, but on a lesser scale, and at least it did not dominate the consumer like it does today. Witness announcers injecting commercials into actual play-by-play and commercial graphics crawling across the screen during plays. At first when this started happening, some people complained, but now no one gives a rat's ass. We've become numb, passive, brain-dead to the greedheads' utter dissolution of our sport.

thetallguy747

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Witness announcers injecting commercials into actual play-by-play and commercial graphics crawling across the screen during plays. At first when this started happening, some people complained, but now no one gives a rat's ass.

I remember listening to a Cardinals game in my car one night in 1994 and hearing something I'd never heard before. Jack Buck seamlessly weaved an ad into his play by play call. I almost drove off the road. I couldn't believe what I had just heard. I remember thinking if they can get Jack Buck to do this, they can get any announcer to do it.

Does anyone remember the 1960's and '70's when there was such a thing as sports journalism and many writers and announcers actually aspired to be one?

Hack Wilson

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Yes, I remember, mainly from the '70s. Seems like a golden era in sports coverage now.

Hack Wilson

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 9:30 pm

8-) 8-) 8-)
Last edited by Hack Wilson on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck1234

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 9:45 pm

I remember the 60's and 70's baseball games, didn't need a big TV screen and flashy fireworks. My biggest complaint is that MLB jerseys cost over $100.00 for somebody's name on them and probably made in China or Korea who is batting .210. That same creep gets traded and the price goes down 70% and you see them in the Thrift Store or Goodwill for pennies on the dollar. Tried to get a jersey for my mom on her birthday (she's 85) and couldn't get something close to decent without paying less than a C-note.

HEY... If John Garcia doesn't start his blogs again, I'll have to take the initiative and do it for him again. We can be put on 'ignore' for so long!!!

Sincerely,
Delivery Boy...
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats