Injury bug

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Hack Wilson

Injury bug

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 9:16 am

Ted Williams injured four times already in 33 games on my 200M Barnstormers team: http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1490299

Injuries seem to come in waves, not random probability. I've always believed that SOM has a glitch in their injury roll, where a player who gets an injury is very likely to quickly get another one once they get back on the field. Very weird.

egvrich

Re: Injury bug

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 9:20 am

Hack Wilson wrote:Injuries seem to come in waves, not random probability. I've always believed that SOM has a glitch in their injury roll, where a player who gets an injury is very likely to quickly get another one once they get back on the field. Very weird.

Couldn't agree more Hack. I have long been a conspiracy theorist about several aspects of this game, injuries being one of them.

In a recent league I had Joe Judge (600+ PA, so injury on a 1) get injured 5 times in about 40 games.

tony040409

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 9:39 am

I agree that's why we're possible I take 0 injury or remainder of game only!

BDWard

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 10:59 pm

Hack Wilson wrote:Ted Williams injured four times already in 33 games on my 200M Barnstormers team: http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1490299

Injuries seem to come in waves, not random probability. I've always believed that SOM has a glitch in their injury roll, where a player who gets an injury is very likely to quickly get another one once they get back on the field. Very weird.

Hack, I was going to create a forum topic on repeat injuries and what you've described as a "glitch in their injury roll".
Something has changed with injuries within the last 6-12 months or so, where players coming back from injuries seem far more likely to be re-injured in the first series or two upon their return. I don't have an exact date when this started to occur, but over the past 6-12 months it began to happen far more frequently than it had occurred in the previous 10 years I've been playing the online game.

I do recall reading something in one of the forums about a change to 60 game injuries in the annual game, so maybe there was a change in the computer program for the annual game that has also been made in the ATG game that has impacted injuries for ATG players.

I intended to go back and look at injuries on all my recent teams so that I can document the problem and report it to SOM, but I haven't had the time to do so. I had a feeling that I wasn't the only one experiencing this problem. Hopefully enough other managers will post here so that SOM will look into it.

If SOM is decides to look into its ATG injury programming, it should also examine injuries to the same player across several teams in what Hack described as "waves", but was aptly described by The Last Druid several years ago as "batch injuries", where the same player playing for multiple teams for the same manager gets injured around the same time on most of those teams. After Bruce identified the problem, it seemed to occur less frequently for a period of time, but has been on the rise in the last 6-12 months.

This game is tough enough to play against each other, so we don't need to battle game engine glitches as well. Hopefully, SOM will identify and fix the problem regarding injuries.

Hack Wilson

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 8:52 am

Good points. Anecdotally, I know these "wave" or "batch" injuries are happening. There is some kind of glitch. But it's rather tedious to collect all the game-to-game evidence for SOM -- I wish they would just accept our sincere, collective feedback, and look for the fix to the problem.

george barnard

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 9:48 am

Here's the Splendid Splinter with a whole batch of injuries:

Williams, Ted (1941) LF 1 12.03M Game 35 1 additional day
Williams, Ted (1941) LF 1 12.03M Game 48 3 additional days
Williams, Ted (1941) LF 1 12.03M Game 70 2 additional days
Williams, Ted (1941) LF 1 12.03M Game 77 3 additional days
Williams, Ted (1941) LF 1 12.03M Game 91 3 additional days
Williams, Ted (1941) LF 1 12.03M Game 96 3 additional days
Williams, Ted (1941) LF 1 12.03M Game 105 3 additional days

Just for information, we're at the 108 game mark as of this post.

Bill

ratioman2

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 11:08 am

I've wondered before that this is a deliberate programming choice, not to repeat injuries, but to create streaks. When I first played the game in the 70's I remember reading the rules and it said "it is up to YOU the manager to bench slumping players". I thought, how stupid, does Strat not understand the randomness of independent dice rolls?

So when computers came along, I thought, well, Strat now has an opportunity to CREATE streaks/slumps, simply by programming that certain players, for certain seasons, or more likely partial seasons/series, will have more of the dice rolls from one column than another. It is the reason why there is a script that reads "Mattingly was unconscious out there". Every league I've ever been in with Mattingly has had this exact quote for one series, because most of his rolls for that series came on his 1 column and there is invariably a game where he hits multiple home runs off the "1" column.

Teddie Ballgame 1941 has his injury on the 3 column. If this Ted has had most of his rolls on the 3 column, not evenly distributed among 1, 2 or 3 (and by this I mean much greater than 33% of the rolls from his card,not the distribution between the overall balance between pitcher rolls and hitter rolls) then we may be on to something, and by the way then he is having a monster year as well. If not, then there may be something more sinister going on.

dr.red

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 10:06 am

Yeah, not just around injuries but around which cards are varied to be better or worse than their numbers for a season. I've been observing that interesting phenomenon in my franchise leagues, comparing teams that started the same week and seeing the same 'good' cards underperform and 'average' cards overperform in those leagues. So much that I'm out of here for at least a while after my last active team wraps in two weeks.

Hack Wilson

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 pm

George Barnard, that is incredible, seven injuries to Ted Williams through 108 games. Something is wrong.

egvrich

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 pm

I have also noticed that the same players on different teams of mine often seem to get injured on the same night. Has anyone else noticed that? Or am I just crazy?
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats