Super Reliever POLL

Moderator: Palmtana

Do you think Strat needs to stop the use of Super Relievers?

YES
46%
NO
54%

Total votes : 109

• Author

RiggoDrill

Re: Super Reliever POLL

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 9:58 am

The key to remember here is that, unlike most other "debatable" issues, the SuperReliever problem is a Pricing issue.

The Dale Murray card, for example, should cost about 18.00M (because of total and 'high-leverage' innings) given usage patterns.

This Pricing "glitch" throws off the salary structure (the key to the game) is a major issue for new players who are discouraged when they see themselves getting beaten by teams using RPs for 300+ innings.

For anyone who wants to see movement on this, send an email to SOM Support (365support@strat-o-matic.com). This mailbox is monitored and if it starts getting flooded with "Fix the SuperReliever Problem," that enhancement will get into the development queue.

STEVE F

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 11:38 am

$18 M is a bit high. He should be priced somewhere in the area of the Babe Adams card that often gets used as a super reliever. I voted no btw, I think the whole set needs repricing so attacking it one piece at a time is a wasted effort.

egvrich

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 8:49 pm

I stated earlier I believe that Murray should be the most expensive pitcher in the entire set, whatever that price be.

gkhd11a

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 9:06 pm

egvrich wrote:I stated earlier I believe that Murray should be the most expensive pitcher in the entire set, whatever that price be.

Murray is only a .187 OBP card against righties with his E38 that makes him even worse against righties and in a park like Cleveland ’57 all of his advantages go poof. He is a good offset to the lefty teams that can be very difficult to beat. Tim Burke in many cases is a better pitcher. Haven’t heard many complaints about him yet, guess will take a year or so until people realize how to properly “use” him. With the 6,575 parks to choose from pricing is a bit relative

BC15NY

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 10:20 pm

STEVE F wrote:$18 M is a bit high. He should be priced somewhere in the area of the Babe Adams card that often gets used as a super reliever. I voted no btw, I think the whole set needs repricing so attacking it one piece at a time is a wasted effort.

I also voted no, because sometimes the solution can be worse than the problem. I want to know what the solution is going to be prior to asking for it to be implemented.

Also, re-pricing alone isn't the complete answer in my opinion. Do we really want Dale Murray to be priced like he's Koufax? I would like to see the pure relievers capped at R2, then re-priced as warranted.

Just my two cents worth...

Mumford

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 1:41 pm

gkhd11a wrote:
egvrich wrote:I stated earlier I believe that Murray should be the most expensive pitcher in the entire set, whatever that price be.

Murray is only a .187 OBP card against righties with his E38 that makes him even worse against righties and in a park like Cleveland ’57 all of his advantages go poof. He is a good offset to the lefty teams that can be very difficult to beat. Tim Burke in many cases is a better pitcher. Haven’t heard many complaints about him yet, guess will take a year or so until people realize how to properly “use” him. With the 6,575 parks to choose from pricing is a bit relative

Not to mention those potentially "bad" outs (flyball b and gb c).

honestiago

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 9:02 am

gkhd11a wrote:

2 BP singles on the RH side. None of the left, and an R4. Small chance of a double on the left side (1-4, with a flyout). Burke's card is probably just as good, but he's an R3. Negligible, I suppose, but you gotta figure you'll get another 30-40 IP out of Murray, just because of that?

Between the Super Relief fiasco and bomber ball, feels like we're one step from constant video game results (what am I saying? we're already there).

honestiago

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 9:06 am

On pricing, seems like we went through this once, which resulted in lowering cost of pitchers, relative to hitters (or bumping hitters--I can't remember which). I'm still on board with pricing NOT being the issue, but rather, usage switches and fatigue. At some point, a guy's arm's gonna fall off. Using "Daily Injuries" from the computer model might also make a difference, because a way overused Murray would be available less often. (but, again, people would complain, because, evidently, when you spend $20 on something, you should get whatever you want, when you want it, how you want it).:-/

tmfw30

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 3:57 pm

honestiago wrote:(but, again, people would complain, because, evidently, when you spend $20 on something, you should get whatever you want, when you want it, how you want it).:-/

Yeah, that's me! Well, not the entitlement so much as the preference for maximum flexibility in how the game is played.

What I think would be ideal would be a list of options during league setup, similar to the PC game, where the commish can manipulate settings on things like usage. That would be a more efficient way to accommodate different sensibilities than the current gentleman's agreements.

But let's face it boys, this is the game we've got!

honestiago

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 4:18 pm

tmfw30 wrote:
honestiago wrote:(but, again, people would complain, because, evidently, when you spend $20 on something, you should get whatever you want, when you want it, how you want it).:-/

Yeah, that's me! Well, not the entitlement so much as the preference for maximum flexibility in how the game is played.

What I think would be ideal would be a list of options during league setup, similar to the PC game, where the commish can manipulate settings on things like usage. That would be a more efficient way to accommodate different sensibilities than the current gentleman's agreements.

But let's face it boys, this is the game we've got!

I think this would be ideal.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats