Another Legendary Dale Murray Season

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

egvrich

Another Legendary Dale Murray Season

PostWed May 16, 2018 7:30 am

I think it's insane and he was on my team. This was actually only my first time ever using the full on Super Reliever strategy and it clearly worked to perfection as Dale Murray won the Triple Crown of pitching (League MVP, Cy Young and Fireman of the Year) ...

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/sta ... son/436228

He lead the league in Wins, Games and Innings. Was second in saves with 39 (leader had 40), third in WHIP and fourth in ERA.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1480660

Clearly this needs to be address by Strat as has been stated so many times before by others.

The problem is if I end up in a league where someone else is doing it (using Super Reliever strategy), then I feel compelled to do it as well otherwise I feel like I'm some type of advantage to my opponent.

With the success I had, I have tried a similar model with a couple other teams and they are going good, but not nearly as good as this team did.

DOHowser1

Re: Another Legendary Dale Murray Season

PostWed May 16, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks for posting this. This is the main reason I decided to throw in the towel and say adios to Strato.

UNFORTUNATELY, I had a couple of credits left in the drawer, and chose to use one of them, and join in this league. Idiot that I am.

But, after completing the season, it only further confirmed what I knew all along. Strato has ignored this problem, and refuses to fix what should be an easy FIX.

Over the years, I did mostly enjoy playing this game, and hooking up with a lot of decent people.

I miss playing......especially in the Barnstormers leagues, BUTT, when the people steering the ship disappear, and ignore the obvious issues, the enjoyment shoots out the door!

Doug

egvrich

PostWed May 16, 2018 9:47 am

In all my years dating back to ATG 1, I have only tried the Super Reliever a couple of times, this one actually being my first full on attempt. But, the results can be devastating (as shown) and it present an unlevel playing field. Unless everyone in the league agrees to not use it there is always the risk of someone using it to their advantage. Now, until the game is changed (which probably will NEVER HAPPEN) I guess it's technically o.k. to do. I'm just not a huge fan of it.

Murray more than any other reliever is the biggest culprit. Forget the fact he's NOT an all time great. If they aren't going to change the mechanics of the game then they need to change the pricing. If nothing changed, his card should easily be double the price of what it is right now. He should without question be the single most expensive pitcher in the set in my opinion.

Or just make him an R2 and that would solve the problem as well. In fact, make every reliever an R2 or less and problem solved forever.

Chompsky

PostWed May 16, 2018 10:22 am

Please don't quit, though!

Every game has aspects that can be exploited. Folks like me will certainly try to find these areas and use them!

I recommend, stay in the community. Create leagues that optimize your fun and pleasure, and minimize your frustration. Make leagues with limits!!! We have the power to fix the situation ourselves.

Chompsky

ScumbyJr

PostWed May 16, 2018 12:23 pm

I see it more as a couple experienced managers exploiting a lot of inexperienced ones.

ras040409

PostWed May 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Just play league's that limit relief pitchers to no starter relievers and no pitcher 2 innings or more above 2.95 million just closers. This eliminates super reliever issues and makes game fun again.

Ras

egvrich

PostWed May 16, 2018 1:11 pm

ras040409 wrote:Just play league's that limit relief pitchers to no starter relievers and no pitcher 2 innings or more above 2.95 million just closers. This eliminates super reliever issues and makes game fun again.

Ras

I would take it a step further and say only R1 or R2 relievers and the problem is solved. If it's part of the "rules" of the league going in it resolves the issue totally.

egvrich

PostWed May 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Chompsky wrote:Please don't quit, though!

Every game has aspects that can be exploited. Folks like me will certainly try to find these areas and use them!

I recommend, stay in the community. Create leagues that optimize your fun and pleasure, and minimize your frustration. Make leagues with limits!!! We have the power to fix the situation ourselves.

Chompsky

He's not the first person to quit or speak of quitting over the issue. The sad part is that it's really a simple fix (at least in my non-computer programmer's mind) and yet no one at Strat seems to care.

Ultimately the lack of customer service, responsiveness and the general don't give a shit attitude will bring this game to an end sooner or later.

egvrich

PostWed May 16, 2018 1:16 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:I see it more as a couple experienced managers exploiting a lot of inexperienced ones.

Personally I don't really agree with that statement. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I just think as Chompsky said, it's taking every advantage that the rules allow and if the league doesn't have rules against it, then you may as well use them to your favor. Some people simply refuse to do it on principle and personally I don't make a habit of it.

ScumbyJr

PostWed May 16, 2018 3:16 pm

egvrich wrote:
ScumbyJr wrote:I see it more as a couple experienced managers exploiting a lot of inexperienced ones.

Personally I don't really agree with that statement. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I just think as Chompsky said, it's taking every advantage that the rules allow and if the league doesn't have rules against it, then you may as well use them to your favor. Some people simply refuse to do it on principle and personally I don't make a habit of it.

Well I looked at the managers of that league and their records. The competition level was not advanced. It's an observation of fact more than an opinion. The opinion which you probably don't agree with is you could field that same exact team and it would have much different results against a field of Barnstormer managers. I've played under the account name Mumford mostly in public leagues. the competition is radically different from the private leagues and tourneys I play in this Scumby account. Bottom line I'm not the side of those who believe this is a big deal or the overuse of Gates Brown type cards.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats