similar ability

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Hittmens

similar ability

PostTue May 15, 2018 11:59 am

If more than 1 team has selected the same player, the team that has him ranked highest gets him. If you lose out on a player you selected, you will be assigned another player of similar ability at the same primary position. Really? isn't it next highest priced player at that position or has it changed. :?

ratioman2

Re: similar ability

PostTue May 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Not sure where you are getting that.

I just copied this from the FAQ.....
How the Auto List Draft works

The Auto List Draft uses the following logic to draft the teams:
If a player was selected by only one team, that team gets him.
If a player was selected by more than one team:
The team that ranked that player highest gets him.
If more than one team tied for ranking that player the highest:
That player is randomly awarded to one of those teams that ranked him the same.
For each team that lost out on a player:
The team receives the next highest-priced available player that is not on another team's draft card and has the same primary position of the original player that the team lost out on. The player received cannot exceed the original player's salary unless no other players remain at or below the original player's salary.

As an aside, let me say it is fun to read a real post, and not an add for an ED drug - are our players buying that much product???

The Last Druid

PostTue May 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Which makes one wonder why there is a moderator, if this spam is allowed to remain posted.

Hittmens

PostTue May 15, 2018 1:17 pm

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/draft/rank

next time you are drafting when you go to your rank your players page this is what is says. Maybe it is incorrect, I always thought that you got the next highest player at that position

STEVE F

PostTue May 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Hittmens wrote:http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/draft/rank

next time you are drafting when you go to your rank your players page this is what is says. Maybe it is incorrect, I always thought that you got the next highest player at that position

You do

andycummings65

PostTue May 15, 2018 3:15 pm

STEVE F wrote:
Hittmens wrote:http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/draft/rank

You do

But has to be next player at that PRIMARY position, and a player who is not on anyone else's Autodraft card.

So, hypothetically you could Autodraft the 13.97 Mantle, but miss on him. Because in our hypothetical situation Charleston, Mays, Speaker, Duffy, DiMaggio, Cobb and Musial are all Autodrafted by other managers, you'd get Earl Averill.

Hittmens

PostTue May 15, 2018 3:49 pm

ok so hypothetically if you draft Wallace at ss at 2.95 and don't get him and Bartell and Bowa are undrafted do you get
Bowa who is a defensive ss with similar ability to Wallace or Bartell who although the next in price is a hitting ss. And what exactly is similar ability?

andycummings65

PostTue May 15, 2018 8:43 pm

To me, "similar ability" in this instance means "next guy in the salary list"

I don't think you're gonna get a "1" SS just because you Autodrafted one and didn't get him.

jabuending

PostWed May 16, 2018 12:20 am

Similar Ability means next lower Salary at that Primary position. Range Score does not matter. Hitting ability does not matter. If you are the team that lost out on a SS primary (that means it is his FIRST listed position), you will get the next PRIMARY SS that is not on anyone's draft card.

Let's say your SS choice was a $3M range = 1 .270 hitter and you lost out. If every PRIMARY SS down to $2.85M is drafted by other teams, you will end up with a $2.84M SS that might be a range = 4 and hit .315 OR you might get a range =1 SS that hits .240, but you will NOT get a 2B that also plays SS as a range = 2 and hits .285, even if no one drafted that player.

It is a computer program, it is NOT AI. It looks down the list of SS and gives you the next LOWER salary, that is undrafted. It will NEVER give you a higher salary player, as it might FU your future draft choices by over spending.

Hittmens

PostWed May 16, 2018 8:16 am

"similar ability" is a poor word choice by strat. but ty well put explanation.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats