RP "default" selection and use

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Denorien

RP "default" selection and use

PostThu May 03, 2018 1:36 am

First, is there a link to the PC game instructions? The help information for Relief Usage that the Aggressive, Normal, and Conservative settings correspond to the PC game settings doesn't really provide any clarity if I don't understand what the PC settings mean.

Second, what is the "default" RP selection behavior if I don't use any roles except mopup for my $ 1M RP? I have two quality R3s, Radatz and Orosco (fairly even righty and lefty), and two $ 2M guys, Shantz and Humphries (also even-ish righty and lefty, imo). I am using Do Not Pitch in Blowout and Do Not Pitch B4 6th Inning for both Radatz and Orosco. I want HAL to use all four RPs situationally correct in close-ish games depending on rest, the inning, and who's coming up next to bat. Since all of the pitchers are fairly even (no 9R or 9L), I don't want to attempt to pinpoint roles (which has not been consistently effective for me in the past) and I also don't want to lock Radatz into Closer and Orosco into Setup. What I would like is for HAL to understand to bring in Orosco to face Stargell, for example, if rest and availability are equivalent, etc. I guess I also don't want HAL to bring in the $ 2M RPs in the 8th or 9th inning of a reasonably close game if the $ 4M RPs are rested and available.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Regards,
Steve

milleram

Re: RP "default" selection and use

PostSat May 05, 2018 1:30 am

best info is here--bullpen V2 is where most info you want is.

http://somonline.wikia.com/wiki/Strat-O-Matic_365

ATG is very different from 20XX with relief usage, I don't even know if closer ratings apply in ATG. (I don't think so)

HAL is not going to do what you want him to all the time (or even some of the time), it takes some experimenting to get the hang of the settings, and my settings vary from team to team.

I have played very little ATG--more a 20xx player as I like a small pool of players.

I will say HAL makes less bonehead moves (at least in 20xx) when you leave the settings blank for the lesser relievers. Most often I only use F settings and roles for my best reliever or maybe my best two if I have two studs in the pen.

The more I have played online the less I used the settings--sparingly, and only for your very best pitchers seems best in the long run. Avoid a F0 setting, the lower you go with f settings the more rolls will be on the hitters card--check out your batter/pitcher card rolls with guys that use F settings vs those that don't--It shouldn't take long to see the trends.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats