Your favorite player growing up

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

rynecrazy

Re: Your favorite player growing up

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 5:53 pm

I would also love to see Strat put that 1974 Buckner card in the set. The man didn't know how to strike out and he had serious speed, back then. He was always among the national league stolen base leaders, early in his career. I often imagine what more he could have done in his career, if he only hadn't ruined his ankle! He would have had 3000+ hits, no problem. Maybe, even the Hall.

jlt53

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 12:05 am

Al Kaline. I know that Clemente gets most of the attention for his great throws from
rf, and rightfully so, but Al Kaline could also throw a baseball.

STEVE F

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 2:12 am

jlt53 wrote:Al Kaline. I know that Clemente gets most of the attention for his great throws from
rf, and rightfully so, but Al Kaline could also throw a baseball.

Yes he could! And that reminds me of one of the most underrate arms, even by Strat, Reggie Smith

Lindonman

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 4:20 pm

Sandy Koufax. The most dominate pitcher from 1963 to 1966. Won many games even though he was on a horrible hitting team. The hitting was so bad that Don Drysdale sometimes batted 7th. Like other starters of his time, Koufax pitched every fourth game. I loved listening to Vin Scully call the game! Vin was the greatest!

ggyuppie

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 6:45 pm

I love this thread, and I'd like to add another thought, this one in a more contemporary context. The last time I was active in Strat (prior to the last year) was the early 90's. Back then, In our small keeper league (six of us at the max), my top priorities on draft day were Rickey Henderson and Barry Bonds. I knew if I could get those two guys for the top of my order my team would be tough to beat.

I think Bonds leads the league in ambivalence among fans, but controversy aside, there's never been a more formidable hitter than BB. Game changer in every sense of the word. I loved to watch him hit in all his iterations. But the 00's San Francisco period was ridiculous.

rburgh

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 11:09 pm

Expanding on Roberto a bit. He and Willie Mays used to have a bit of a "my legs vs. your arm" rivalry. It started when Roberto gunned down Mays trying to go first to third on a single in the very early part of Roberto's career.

As they grew to respect each other, Mays would try to draw a throw, or try to fake like he was pulling up at 2nd, or just go. It was apparently their little secret, I didn't read about it until some years after Roberto died.

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 8:37 am

Willie had that basket catch but Roberto also used to make a basket catch , it varied a little but with Clemente it always looked so cool and of course you could not wait for a chance to see him throw. To this day I YOU TUBE his throws and marvel at his arm. Kaline had a great one and they say Furillo threw seeds [never saw him] but Clemente NONE BETTER.

egvrich

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Lifelong Cubs fan. Started watching them at 7 years old in 1970. Sadly too late for Ernie Banks who was apparently a shell of his former self by then. So I grew to love Billy Williams, followed closely by Fergie Jenkins. In little league I used to try to spit and hit it with my bat like Billy used to.

A few interesting anecdotes ...

My family business had Fergie Jenkins and Randy Hundley as autograph guests for a grand opening right around the same time. Still have a photo of me starstruck with my mouth open staring at them.

Later in life I began hosting baseball card shows and spoke with Fergie Jenkins on the phone about appearing as an autograph guest. He was really very nice and we chatted for a while, but alas he was out of my price range, so I settled for Milt Pappas.

I once got to sit in the dugout at Wrigley during pregame warmups and Billy Williams was doing an interview about 10 feet from me he glanced over at me as if to say "What the heck are you doing here?" I just smiled.

And finally, my family business is appliance sales and repair and about 3 years ago we actually did a service call for Billy Williams at his house. I made a photo copy of the check and invoice he signed and have it framed in my office.

Radagast Brown

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 12:24 am

My first favorite players were all hometown players. Where I grew up, in my little neighborhood, you rooted for the Cleveland teams..

So my first favorite players were kind of mediocre. Rick Manning, Buddy Bell, Andre Thornton, Bobby Bonds, and Mike Hargrove were my first favorite players... Later I liked Pat Tabler, Robin Yount, Alan Trammell, Rod Carew, George Brett... In the 1990s I liked Kenny Lofton , Charles Nagy and Tony Gwynn.

LJs

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 9:35 am

Dick "Richie" Allen -

When he played for the Chicago White Sox in the early '70s - I never seen 1 player literally carry an entire team into contention. He kept the White Sox in the playoff hunt each year against the Oakland A's in their heyday years and IMO was underrated and a marvel to watch. A bad reputation followed him from Philadelphia and LA but all was forgiven by White Sox fans who played second fiddle to the Cubs. Guy just wanted to play ball (no practice.. LOL) and be left alone. When he was batting, especially pinch-hitting in game 2 of a DH - the whole city stopped to watch because he lived for those moments - just ask Sparky Lyle !

LJs
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats