New “Decades” Franchise Theme League - Full

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

ggyuppie

Re: New “Decades” Franchise Theme League - Full

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 4:31 am

Good question, Bill; and one I hadn’t considered. My gut is to say no the NEL card, because his would be the only NEL card eligible for the league, and it did come against different competition.

How cool is it, in the context of this league, that Paige’s single 3 inning appearance for the A’s in 1965 (at age 59!) qualifies him for the A’s team in both the 60’s and 70’s seasons?

BTW, he played for the Browns/Orioles too. I don’t know whether anyone will choose them, but if they do, the Indians will have some competition there in season 1.

Glenn

eligibility questionl

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 10:31 am

example ; Ted Williams , played for the RED SOX during the fifties are his pre war cards eligible , there are several players who this question applies. Bill

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 10:37 am

even more to the point Jimmy Foxx played for the Phillies in 1945 are his other cards eligible for that franchise.

thetallguy747

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 10:38 am

example ; Ted Williams , played for the RED SOX during the fifties are his pre war cards eligible , there are several players who this question applies. Bill

Bill, I believe the answer to your question is yes, you can use any card including a pre-war card. I think that's why we're using the entire ATG pool instead of just the Post-War set. But let's wait and make sure when the commissioner checks in this morning.

Kevin A

ggyuppie

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 10:51 am

Pre war cards are absolutely eligible. Jimmie Foxx is an excellent case in point. As you point out, 1945 was his last year, and in that year he played for the Phillies. If the Phillies are selected, he’ll be exclusive to them and eligible for the first season only. The Phillies manager will be able to use any Jimmie Foxx card in the set. If nobody takes the Phillies, we’ll never see Jimmie Foxx in this league, because he won’t qualify as a free agent, even in season one.

I’ve also thought more about the Satchel Paige question. To interpret my stated eligibility rule literally, his NEL card would be eligible, as it is “in the set.”

Team eligibility is determined by whether a player played for your team - it is NOT necessary that a player be carded for your team. You can always use any card in the set for your eligible players.

The selection order is set. I’ll create a new thread in ILC and get the ball rolling. We’ll essentially have two selection rounds there...first the franchises...then, in opposite order, the one-round free agent draft. We won’t know exactly where to look for the FA’s until we know which 4 franchises are left out of the league!

ggyuppie

Re: New “Decades” Franchise Theme League - kaviksdad is up

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Bump

ggyuppie

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Bump

jabuending

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 1:21 am

GG,

Why'd you bump this? You lookin for people?

JB

ggyuppie

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 11:23 am

jabuending wrote:GG,

Why'd you bump this? You lookin for people?

JB

So the rules would be easier to find on the board, as everybody like a refresher before we kick off a new season.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats