Sick of 300 inning pitched relievers!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

RiggoDrill

Re: Sick of 300 inning pitched relievers!

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 4:29 pm

I had planned to post this league a couple of months ago, but holidays, etc. got in the way. So here it is - my "solution" to the curse of the Super-reliever! Introducing, the Requiem for Dale Murray league...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=643584

Chompsky

Re: Sick of 300 inning pitched relievers!

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 7:06 pm

The Chompsky shuffle league did fill. It took a while. We are 15 games in so far:

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/433768

The Vista Redhawks have best record and run differential so far: http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1476857

The league created some new tight markets--for example, for:

1: the back end of your bullpen, for example. And for
2: your 5th and 6th starters. And for
3: OF back-ups.

It was/is very difficult to find 0.50m to 0.70m players in those areas as we all tried to round out our rosters. While that was a bit of a surprise (although, in retrospect, it makes sense), the big change was
A: to relief pitching (no Sutter, Murray, Wolfgang, Miljus, Wilhelm), but also to
B: Starting pitching (a lot of starters were eliminated by virtue of their R3, R4 or R5 ratings. Babe Adams, Pedro Martinez, and many more). A lot of the quality 2m-3m non-* starters were removed.

The other, less severe, winnowing was to hitters (players with fewer than 350 at bats. No Gates Brown, among others).

Anyway, the league is fun. I personally found it difficult to make a team without a super-reliever. I was torn between choosing two high end R2s (Wagner and someone else) or to avoid relievers altogether. I made two teams and flipped a coin in the end. Good luck with your league, RIggoDrill!

Chompsky
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats