Open All-time Great Teams League - Full!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

thetallguy747

Re: Open All-time Great Teams League - Full!

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 5:12 pm

"In your example, that Yankees manager, no matter how mean, wouldn’t be able to take Schmoe from you once you got him in the draft, or even if you picked him up after; reason being even though the one card in the set is a Yankee card, it’s not his season. If, however, the card was his franchise and season, you can’t have him, even if he chooses not to roster him. In this context, it doesn’t even matter if there is also a card for your franchise in your era. Unless of course it’s also your season, in which case he might be yours, depending on the criteria previously laid out."

That clears it up just fine. Thank you!

Kevin A

thetallguy747

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 5:14 pm

P.S.

Yankees managers are always mean. lol

ggyuppie

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 5:19 pm

jmtosi wrote:one more question, we're only considering players who are carded for our franchise right? So if someone played for the Mets but doesn't have a card in the set for the Mets, then I can't use them correct?

No that’s incorrect. A player need not be carded for your franchise or even your era. IF he played for your team in your era at any point in his career, he is eligible for your team, and you can use any card in the set representing that player, UNLESS he is carded for another team for the season they select.

Examples:

Nobody, other than my beloved ‘79 Pirates, can use Bill Madlock in this league, even if they were crazy enough to choose either the 74 or 76 Cubs, because even though Mad Dog is carded with the Cubs those years, his 79 Pirates card has the highest # of plate appearances among his 3 cards.

Conversely, as it stands at the moment, if I want to use Justin Morneau I can, even though his card is a Twins card, because he played for the Pirates during his career.

jmtosi

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Thank you my chances of winning just a few more games vs the yankee goliaths in my division just went up since lots of washed up greats saw their careers die with the Mets.
Jay M. Commissioner of The Original Staten Island roto league

MIKEARCHAMBAULT

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 9:10 pm

Remember, jmt, that if that washed-up great player is "carded" to a franchise team, you cannot use him, if I'm reading the rules right. For example, I have Gil Hodges carded on my '53 Dodgers franchise team. Even if I decide not to use him, you will still be unable to draft him

jmtosi

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 12:58 am

Gotcha yep I see that....and after tooling with my roster and realizing that it still doesn't help...a quality team for 85mm vs both yankee powerhouses will be tough but ya gotta believe!
Jay M. Commissioner of The Original Staten Island roto league

ggyuppie

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 1:49 am

There are at least a few Dodgers who aren’t carded on their ‘53 team and who happened to have also played for the Mets during their careers. A guy named Piazza comes to mind. He played on the A’s too, but not in 1990. Cat fight? ;)

ggyuppie

Clarification

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 11:32 am

I went slightly astray yesterday in the answer below. I said...

No that’s incorrect. A player need not be carded for your franchise or even your era. IF he played for your team in your era at any point in his career, he is eligible for your team, and you can use any card in the set representing that player, UNLESS he is carded for another team for the season they select.

Actually, that should say, “unless he played for another team during the season they select.” Whether or not he is also carded for that season is only relevant if he played for more than one team in the seasons selected, in order to determine which of those teams gets him.

Using Bill Madlock again, he played for the Tigers in 1987. So if someone selects the ‘87 Tigers, there will be a conflict with the 79 Pirates. Madlock is carded for the 79 Pirates but not the 87 Tigers. So he goes to Pittsburgh.

I suppose it is also possible that two teams/years could be selected in which the same player played on both teams/years but was carded for neither. Let him go to the team/year on which he had higher use.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats