Open All-time Great Teams League - Full!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

genegrid

Re: Open All-time Great Teams League

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 11:58 am

1. ggyuppie
2. rynecrazy
3. blineimages
4. hitmens
5. thetallguy747
6. Dmorgan90275
7. Brent65
8. bmilner
9. jmtosi
10. Genegrid

genegrid

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 1:10 pm

I am a little confused by the mention of possibly only 40 teams being available. For instance the Big Red Machine era. The only team set in SOM was "75 but cant you call the '70 or '76 Reds roster instead? Every team that was good in any year has at least 13 cards in this huge set of players that were on their roster. Therefore there are hundreds of team years that could be called instead of only 40.

I

ggyuppie

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 1:53 pm

You may be right. But to use your example, the '76 Reds have one hitter card and no pitcher cards. You probably can find cards for 13 players who played for the Reds in '76, but why wouldn't you just call '75 and maximize your flexibility? Either way, nobody else could field a post-WWII Reds team, and remember, you're more likely to have exclusive rights to players who are carded to your franchise in your season.

dl385

Re: Open All-time Great Teams League - Two Spots Left!

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 12:22 am

1. ggyuppie
2. rynecrazy
3. blineimages
4. hitmens
5. thetallguy747
6. Dmorgan90275
7. Brent65
8. bmilner
9. jmtosi
10. Genegrid
11.dl385

genegrid

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 am

ggyuppie wrote:You may be right. But to use your example, the '76 Reds have one hitter card and no pitcher cards. You probably can find cards for 13 players who played for the Reds in '76, but why wouldn't you just call '75 and maximize your flexibility? Either way, nobody else could field a post-WWII Reds team, and remember, you're more likely to have exclusive rights to players who are carded to your franchise in your season.

Good point about exclusive rights cards. I was thinking of '65 Giants who had all the greats from '62 plus Warren Spahn and Bob Shaw. If Milwaukee Braves werent taken then it would make more sense to take '65 Giants then '62. I am sure there are other examples where teams picked up HOFers late in their career. This strategy would only work if you were last pick in the draft, I suppose, to make sure the HOF "scrubs" were available to you.

MIKEARCHAMBAULT

Re: Open All-time Great Teams League - One Spot Left!

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 8:12 am

1. ggyuppie
2. rynecrazy
3. blineimages
4. hitmens
5. thetallguy747
6. Dmorgan90275
7. Brent65
8. bmilner
9. jmtosi
10. Genegrid
11.dl385
12.MIKEARCHAMBAULT

ggyuppie

Re: Open All-time Great Teams League - Full!

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 11:25 am

Ok here we go. I will request randomizer. Your number is shown in the above signup list. Your place in the team drafting order will be determined by where your number falls in the random number string.

Ie. if the first 3 #’s in the string happen to be 11, 2 and 4, dl385, rynecrazy and hitmens would be atop the list in that order.

DIVISIONAL ASSIGNMENTS

Rather than random, your commish will be assigning divisions based on the actual teams chosen. Here are the roughest guidelines, and I’ll fill in from there.

Any Yanks and/or Red Sox teams will be in East
Any post-WWII Dodgers and/or Giants teams will be in West
Any pre-WWII Dodgers and/or Giants teams will be in East if space permits
Any Chicago teams will be pushed to West, unless more obvious West teams emerge

NAMING CONVENTION

When you create your team, use the appropriate city and franchise name and put the year (‘xx) at the end of the franchise name. Ie. San Diego Padres ‘84

I’ll start a new thread on individual league chat for team draft etc.

Good luck to all!

jmtosi

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 3:09 pm

one more question, we're only considering players who are carded for our franchise right? So if someone played for the Mets but doesn't have a card in the set for the Mets, then I can't use them correct?
Jay M. Commissioner of The Original Staten Island roto league

thetallguy747

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 4:04 pm

It says in the rules:

"You will generally have 100% exclusive rights to all players who played for your franchise your year. Only situation where you might not...if your player also played for another selected franchise/season. In this case rights go to the team/season for which he is carded, and if carded for both, he goes to the team/season for which his card has either the highest plate appearances (AB+BB) or highest IP.

My question is, at what point is this rule invoked? Let's say I draft Joe Schmoe, who played for my franchise in my era but his only ATG card is with the Yankees but not the season chosen by the Yankees manager. Can the Yankees manager then, after the draft, declare that he wants Joe Schmoe and thus I have to release him to the Yankees? Maybe the Yankees manager put Schmoe on his draft list but I put him higher on my list and got him. Or maybe after assessing his draft results, Schmoe now looks better than before as a fit for the Yankees. Do I have to give him up? Then, to carry the scenario a step further, could the Yankees manager declare he wants Schmoe at any point after the season has started?

Thanks!

Kevin A

ggyuppie

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 5:06 pm

Good question, Kevin.

In your example, that Yankees manager, no matter how mean, wouldn’t be able to take Schmoe from you once you got him in the draft, or even if you picked him up after; reason being even though the one card in the set is a Yankee card, it’s not his season. If, however, the card was his franchise and season, you can’t have him, even if he chooses not to roster him. In this context, it doesn’t even matter if there is also a card for your franchise in your era. Unless of course it’s also your season, in which case he might be yours, depending on the criteria previously laid out.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats