We all have our storied about HAL

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

alvarndc

We all have our storied about HAL

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 11:23 pm

But this one is the worst I have seen.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/playbyplay/434882/7

Bottom of the seventh and we are losing a three run lead to go down by one run. Rivera is called in to make the last out of the seventh.

This is second game of the season, as Walter Johnson pitched a complete game shutout in the opener. SO River throws literally the first two pitches of his season to end the seventh.

We score four runs in the top of the eighth to go up by three.

So of course, it is time to take out Rivera, who I have listed at all the possible end game roles, slo hook etc, and bring in our "middle man" Pete Center. Center proceeds to choke and we lose.

Just wish I could understand even an inkling of the rationale for that.

Radagast Brown

Re: We all have our storied about HAL

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 12:25 am

That is very strange... I see your point.

I don't know if it's just good luck, or clean living, or maybe I am not paying close enough attention, but I never have too many bullpen problems. I am sure I am probably in the minority with my perceived experience..

Hopefully it will not happen again for you.

sjudd

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 11:45 am

HAL pinch hit for Rivera in the top of the 8th. It was a one run game, so not unexpected. You can play DH leagues if you don't want pitchers getting lifted for a PH, or you can set up deeper bullpens for non-DH leagues, or or you can try setting your bullpen roles so that your ace only appears in high leverage situations.

Outta Leftfield

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Looks like sjudd nailed it.

I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but in this case, having Pete Center pitch may not have cost you much. Francona got a hit off the pitcher's card, but was promptly picked off.
Two hits followed off hitters cards and then a flyout offer a hitters card.
A 3B error followed off the pitcher's card, but each pitcher's card has the same 3B(X) chance.
Then Thome hit a HR off the hitter's card.

There was no further scoring. So the only actual baserunner who reached on the pitcher's card got there on an error. All the hits that caused damage were on hitter's cards.

alvarndc

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 pm

sjudd wrote:HAL pinch hit for Rivera in the top of the 8th. It was a one run game, so not unexpected. You can play DH leagues if you don't want pitchers getting lifted for a PH, or you can set up deeper bullpens for non-DH leagues, or or you can try setting your bullpen roles so that your ace only appears in high leverage situations.

Thanks for the sleuthing.

Still don't agree with it, but at least I understand it better.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats