Home Field Advantage (?) during playoffs

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

egvrich

Home Field Advantage (?) during playoffs

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 11:53 am

It seems like I always split the first two games when I am at home in the Semis, doesn't matter how good my team is or what my record against the opponent was during the regular season.

So that lead me to actually look back and in my last 18 home advantage Semi-Finals, my team split the first two games 12 out of 18 times. I know it's a small sample size, but it is kind of odd, which makes me wonder if the built in "Home Field Advantage" isn't turned off for the playoffs???

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing?

YountFan

Re: Home Field Advantage (?) during playoffs

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 9:56 pm

My friend says the playoffs in all sports are rigged to go the max number of games so the owners can maximize their profits. This must be programmed into the game.
Posted by the real YountFan

Radagast Brown

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 11:31 pm

Of course the home field advantage is on during the playoffs. I have not seen it written into the computer code, but I am fairly confident it is there...

18 is too small a sample size, but 12 out of 18 splits seems about right..... After all, this isn't the NBA where the best team on paper wins every time.

When I went to the party, I was by myself,
but 9 times out of 10 I left with someone else.
There's something about the way I rock the microphone,
that makes the ladies want to take me home,
they stretch me out on the couch and never leave me alone. :D

MARCPELLETIER

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 9:34 pm

In this small sample, what happened in the six other series? If the home team swept 4 out of 6 in their favour, you would get overall a .530 pct win for the home team, which would be around what I would expect for two playoff-contending teams.

egvrich

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 2:45 pm

MARCPELLETIER wrote:In this small sample, what happened in the six other series? If the home team swept 4 out of 6 in their favour, you would get overall a .530 pct win for the home team, which would be around what I would expect for two playoff-contending teams.

Yep, swept 4, got swept 2.

sjudd

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 7:38 pm

If you assume a .530 win pct for home teams, the expected average breakdown for the 1st 2 playoff games is:
home team sweeps: 28.09%
visitor sweeps: 22.09%
split: 49.82%

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats