THE FREE FOR ALL FRANCHISE LEAGUE

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

blineimages

Re: THE FREE FOR ALL FRANCHISE LEAGUE

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 10:47 pm

If you trade for a player, you can select from multiple cards for that player (as long as they are from the franchise that traded you that player), but you cannot switch seasons once you make that initial selection.
note: If you get a player in trade, you can only use the card(s) from the franchise that traded you that player.

For example:
Two owners make a trade:
Owner A (lets say the A'/ Phils franchise) trades the 1990 Rickey Henderson card (that they got in the supplemental draft)
to Owner B (the Reds franchise) for Frank Robinson 1961 card

Now, owner B, can select any of the A's cards from Rickey Henderson --1982, 1983, 1990, but cannot select the 1985 card, as that was a Yankee card. Once owner B makes his intial selection, that card must be kept through the entire season.

Now owner A gets Frank Robinson, as it was the Reds, it would be his 1961 Card. But because the trade came from the Reds and there is only one card for Frank for the Reds, that card would have to be the one used---the Orioles card could not be used.

blineimages

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 pm

Mr BB World,

glad you are joining us---I was kind of hoping that the Tigers/Pirates would fall to me at the end, but I had no false expectations, I am fairly sure, as I get the last team not selected, that I will end up with most likely the Dodgers, or perhaps the Reds....

To answer you questions--

I already answered your first one in the post I just put up, ---in a trade, you can only use cards from the franchise that is trading you the player, so no--if the Dodgers get Hornsby from the Cubs, the Dodgers can only use his Cub season (and not his Cardinal season)

and no...you cannot trade a player for the rights of a player as you presented in the Jake Arieta example.

blineimages

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 10:55 pm

Only need 3 more (I get the last remaining franchise)--the available franchises are underlined

1) THE NEL Franchise/Blue Jays Relievers - budabear78
2) The Yankees - ironwill
3) Indians, Braves, Brewers - Paul_Long71
4) White Sox, Cubs.
5) A's (Philadelphia, Oakland), Phillies -- bmilner
6) Tigers, Pirates. Mr. Baseball World
7) Giants (NY, SF), Mariners, Angels. -- malamutt2002
8) Red Sox, Expos/Nats, Marlins. -- JoeyC
9) Cards, Royals, Astros -- thetallguy747
10) Reds, Rangers, and Mets.
11) Orioles- Browns), Senators/Twins, Rockies.
12) Dodgers, Padres, D-Backs.

blineimages

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 9:59 am

RULE CHANGE

Based on the input from several owners, I am hereby revising the rule regarding the trading for of a player as per the question MRBBWorld asked--
I think changing the rule makes the league more competitive---particularly in that some owners have many more players at risk, that they could lose in the supplemental draft. to rectify this, I came up with a rule that takes somewhat from what BBWorld proposed.

Once trading commences, and up through to the end of the supplemental draft, owners can trade player(s) that they have exclusive right to for:
a player that they share rights with,--- i.e. a player that has a card for both teams involved in the trade. In that case, the owner getting that player, can decide to use either Franchise's card, and removes the risk of losing that player in the supp draft.

Example: lets take the Sultan of Swat, has cards for both the Cards and the Cubs. Prior to the supplemental draft, the Cubs Franchise owner, wants to remove the risk of losing Hornsby to the Cards in the supplemental draft, and...he wants to be able to use Hornsby's St. Louis card, as opposed to his Cubs card. So the Cubs owner can trade, prior to the supp draft, a player (that the Cubs have exclusive rights to--i.e. that player only has Cubs seasons on his card), for Hornsby's Franchises' rights to draft that player, and will thereby have the option to use either Hornsby's Cubs card or his St. Louis card, and will not have to worry about losing the Sultan in the supp draft.

thetallguy747

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 10:49 am

"Once trading commences, and up through to the end of the supplemental draft, owners can trade player(s) that they have exclusive right to for:
a player that they share rights with,--- i.e. a player that has a card for both teams involved in the trade. In that case, the owner getting that player, can decide to use either Franchise's card, and removes the risk of losing that player in the supp draft."

I just want to make sure I am clear on this. Let me just give an example and see if my interpretation is correct. After the auto draft and before the end of the supplemental draft, the Cubs owner and I can strike an agreement that I will give him Stan Musial and in exchange he agrees not to choose Hornsby in the supplemental, thereby making Hornsby mine. Is that an accurate example?

If so, does our agreement have to be announced on the league's message board or what?

And, then, does such a trade count as the one trade we are allowed over all?

Thanks

blineimages

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:24 am

thetallguy--

we revised the draft order (please read through previous posts), I will update all the rule changes and repost.

Once all the franchises have been claimed, I will set up an individual league chat, we will move all our discussion to that thread. I will then post that trading can begin.

will then randomize to get the supplemental draft order (we changed to have the supplemental draft prior to the autodraft--i.e. owners would not load their teams into the league until after the supplemental draft.

Before and during the supplemental draft, trading is permitted, including as per the most recent rule change.

The supplemental draft will take place in the individual league chat. If a trade is agreed to at any time, that trade is to be posted and confirmed by both owners on the league chat.

thetallguy747--your interpretation is correct, what is different is that the supplemental draft occurs first. And if you do trade Stan Musial for "Hornsby" before (or during the supp draft), not only does he agree not to choose Hornsby in the draft, but you will have the option to choose as to whether you want to use Hornsby's Cubs card season or his St. Louis card season.

as to your other point regarding if that trade counts as part of the 1 trade each team is allowed, after considering it, I think we should amend the trading rule as follows:

A) each team is allowed 1 trade of 1 player for 1 "player" before and during the supplemental draft.
and after the auto draft has been run,
B)each team is then permitted 1 trade of 1-2 players, for 1-2 players up until 7 PM EST, on the Monday the season starts. Note that you can only trade away players that have card seasons for your franchise.
To clarify: if you do not use an "A" trade, that does not mean you get to make 2 "B" trades.

budabear78

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:25 am

If we're trading before the supplemental and auto drafts, I just wanted to put this out there.

I'm looking for starting pitching and willing to deal certain NEL hitters, particularly catchers not named Josh Gibson for any teams who are catcher needy or outfielders/first basemen. PM me if interested in discussing potential deals.

Isn't the Sultan of Swat the babe not roger? (did I miss a joke or something?)
Last edited by budabear78 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blineimages

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:28 am

budabear78-- duly noted.
and yes, I got my nicknames mixed up......
i will blame it on the lethal Panamanian coffee beans...

blineimages

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:36 am

THE FREE FOR ALL FRANCHISE LEAGUE (revised and edited as of Thursday, Sept 21 11:30 AM)

Format: 12 Franchises, 999+ Mill salary, DH league

SETUP: Once we have 12 owners and franchises selected, there will be an online serpentine draft (for players that have cards for more than one franchise), order to be determined by randomizer. Once the online draft has been completed, teams will then be loaded into the league and the auto draft will be run.

Trading:
A) each team is allowed 1 trade of 1 player for 1 "player" before and during the supplemental draft.
owners can trade player(s) that they have exclusive right to,---- for:
a player that they share rights with,--- i.e. a player that has a card for both teams involved in the trade. In that case, the owner getting that player, can decide to use either Franchise's card, and removes the risk of losing that player in the supplemental draft.

B) each team is then permitted 1 trade of 1-2 players, for 1-2 players up until 7 PM EST, on the Monday the season starts. Note that you can only trade away players that have card seasons for your franchise.
To clarify: if you do not use an "A" trade, that does not mean you get to make 2 "B" trades.

1) Any player you select in the supplemental draft must stay on your roster for the entire season--or be cut 24 hours prior to the beginning of the season, unless you trade that player prior to the season starting. If you select a player in the supplemental draft, and you decide to not retain that player for the season, you must release that player to the FA pool a minimum of 24 hours prior to season start.

2) Once all 12 franchises have been claimed, the commish will create an individual league chat to setup the draft. The first post in that individual league chat will be from the commish indicating that trading is open---i.e. owners will be permitted to make trades prior to the supplemental draft if they wish--and trading will be allowed from that point forward until 7 PM EST the night the season starts. Please note that the trading deadline is 3 hours prior to season start time.
Prior to the supplemental draft, You can only trade players, that you have exclusive rights to (i.e. that only have cards/seasons for your franchise). Once the supplemental draft is finished, you can trade players that you selected in the supplemental draft as well.

Stadiums: You must pick a stadium per one of your franchises.

Start of the season and through the entire season: The only players that can be on your roster, are players that have cards for your franchise(s) or that you received via a pre-season trade--(note the one exception below per the NEL franchise)

The auto draft: As the supplemental draft will happen first, for the auto draft, you can draft any player that has a card for your franchise(s).

The supplemental draft order will be determined via randomizer, ---[*]The draft will be for players such as Rocky Colavito (Indians, Tigers), Manny Ramirez (Red Sox, Indians) etc.--players that have cards for more than one franchise.
Note that there will be 11 teams drafting, the NEL will not be participating in the online draft.

Once the auto- draft is complete, all qualified players still remaining in the FA pool, may be picked up (if they have a card for your franchise(s)

NOTE: For this league, you may only use cards that were used for your franchise. Example: Jim Thome, has both cards for the White Sox and the Indians. The Indian Franchise (if they get him) can only use his Indian card years, the White Sox (if they get him), only his White Sox card(s).
Also, once the season starts, you cannot change a players' card to another year.
You can drop a player, but if you do that, and pick him up again, you must use his original year that you used.
If you drop a player, that has cards for other franchises, ---that player can be picked up by that other franchise, ---but they can only use cards for the years that he qualifies for their franchise(s), and once they select a player from the FA pool, they must use the original year that was first selected per their franchise.

Your roster must at all times, only have players that have cards for your franchise(s), --except for the 1-2 players you may have received in trade prior to the season. (the other exception being the 3 pure relievers from the Blue Jays that go to the NEL franchise)

For the pre-1900 players--- The commish has posted a list, that defines per player, which franchises can draft/pickup which player--teams like the Boston Beaneaters became the Boston Braves, and thereby those players can be picked up by the Braves franchise and so forth.

Here are the 12 franchises. Are the franchises ideally balanced? I don't think that is possible, certainly each of these 12 combo franchises has its strength and weaknesses, which can be possibly addressed via trading or the on-line draft.

To make it interesting---I will take the last team not taken.....

1) THE NEL Franchise (the Negro League players): The NEL players are exclusively available to this franchise. For this league, Satchel Paige is only available to the NEL.
Also note: to address the requirement of 3 pure relievers, this franchise will auto-draft 3 pure relievers from the Toronto Blue Jays.
Please note: Outside of the Blue Jays 3 pure relievers that the NEL gets, no other Blue Jay (pitchers/hitters) are available to any other franchises.

Only need 3 more (I get the last remaining franchise)--the available franchises are underlined

1) THE NEL Franchise/Blue Jays Relievers - budabear78
2) The Yankees - ironwill
3) Indians, Braves, Brewers - Paul_Long71
4) White Sox, Cubs.
5) A's (Philadelphia, Oakland), Phillies -- bmilner
6) Tigers, Pirates. Mr. Baseball World
7) Giants (NY, SF), Mariners, Angels. -- malamutt2002
8) Red Sox, Expos/Nats, Marlins. -- JoeyC
9) Cards, Royals, Astros -- thetallguy747
10) Reds, Rangers, and Mets.
11) Orioles- Browns), Senators/Twins, Rockies.
12) Dodgers, Padres, D-Backs.

mrharryc

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:54 pm

I'll jump in and take the Dodgers-Padres- D-Backs franchise, if still available.

Harry
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats