2) mrharryc---Red Sox/Orioles
3) Paul_Long-- Yankees
4) Musial6 -- Cardinals/Reds
5) thetallguy747 --- A's/WhiteSox
6) hackra -- Tigers/Cubs

hackra

Re: New 6-team Power Franchise League--need mrharryc to chec

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 10:43 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:ok. so that makes the vote 4-2 and we will allow 1 trade per team. It's not mandated that you have to trade, just that you can trade. And you can trade at most 2 players for 2 players. Thus your team could have 26 franchised players and 2 that you picked up in trade. I'm guessing we'll all have the max of 28 rostered players.

Sorry, hackra I'm gonna go with no on the Wolverines and have you just stay with the Det db players. Of course being that you were last to pick, you can freely choose the Dodgers/Braves duo instead if you wish.

No, I'm fine with no Wolverines, and I like the Tiger Cubs better than the Dodger Braves (although the pitching of the latter looks better, the position players favor the Tiger Cubs imo).

Will you be setting up the league soon?

Paul_Long71

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 1:11 am

league is created. I may pull my team out to make sure that we fill on Sat and not tomorrow. I'd like to have the Sunday frenzy as requested. That would mean having a little extra time to work out our teams and our 1 league trade.

password is: yanks

blineimages

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Will load my team Saturday am-- named THE GERONIMO GIANTS.
Wow-- this is challenging-- each team has a particular weakness or issue--and
The issue of drafting players that can be drafted by multiple teams adds another
Element. I didn't realize that even with all the Giants and Indians, there is only
One lights out lefty reliever-- and of course he also has a card for another team in the
League....I have 8 such players--so draft order is going to be tricky. This is a blast....

Paul_Long71

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 1:18 am

need thetallguy and Musial to load. all ready to go!!!

hackra

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 5:24 am

blineimages wrote:Will load my team Saturday am-- named THE GERONIMO GIANTS.
Wow-- this is challenging-- each team has a particular weakness or issue--and
The issue of drafting players that can be drafted by multiple teams adds another
Element. I didn't realize that even with all the Giants and Indians, there is only
One lights out lefty reliever-- and of course he also has a card for another team in the
League....I have 8 such players--so draft order is going to be tricky. This is a blast....

This is a challenge, and I do not have a good feel for how the players will perform with this huge cap. I think daily adjustments of lineups and spot starters may be needed.

Greg Maddux and 3-Finger Brown should be a mondo starting combo who might otherwise never get pulled for a reliever in a DH league at the usual caps I play.

But I see a Yankee lineup of Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Dimaggio, Maris, Jeter, Arod, Dickey, and Cano coming through and I feel that ERAs will be high and hurlers of all skills may become broken. PLUS, there are no playoffs in a 6 team league...so luck in the post season will not be a factor at all.

For your Giant Indians, I am looking and guessing a base lineup would perhaps be Bonds, Mays, Boudreau, Posey, Ott, Rosen, Speaker (and/or Joe Jackson/Averill), Lajoie (or Alomar), McCovey and thinking they can hit

Harry's SoxOrioles appear to have Speaker? (or maybe Lynn), Frank Robinson?, Foxx?, Sisler, Boggs, Yaz, Ted Williams, Ripken, Hoiles (or Fisk)...not too shabby

Musial's Red Cardinals might start Musial, Hornsby, Molina (or Bench), McGwire?, Pujols, Edmonds, Tip Oneil (or Morgan or Frank Robinson?), Medwick, Larkin... a rather nice hitting group

The A's White Sox may start Big Hurt, Al Simmons (and/or Shoeless Joe?), Collins (or Lajoie?), Reggie Jackson, Rickey Henderson, McGwire?(or Giambi), Cochrane, Tejada, plus Dick Allen?/Thome? (or Ventura)...seems pretty good

All in all, a deep pen or high salary starters who can also relieve may be the order of the day. :o

thetallguy747

Re: New 6-team Power Franchise--need tallguy and musial to l

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 7:41 am

I'll be entering my team later today.

blineimages

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 9:54 am

am fine if we frenzy tonight, i have a poker game but no big deal and my wallet says i should stay home anyway.... :-)

blineimages

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 11:04 am

Given that all six teams will have big time power and aces on the mound, the performance separator may be a combination of other factors---such as:

Table setters: power is much more effective if there are ducks on the pond when the getty goners step to the plate. The #1 and #2 hitters in the lineup may be a difference maker.

Lineup flexibility: being able to adjust lineups per stadium and per starting pitching. Will be interesting to see if anyone goes for more of a pitching park.

Bullpen: with 12 arms, getting the right match--ups at the end of the game.

Defense; all teams will produce runs, ---sometimes defense, errors, running game, can make a difference

And of course, the auto draft---big names at stake --- Ruth, Foxx, Speaker etc.....

blineimages

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Frenzy tonight, alright.
just as well that I will miss the poker game.

My first 8 draft picks are all players that can be drafted by other teams, 3 of them are rather critical to my anticipated strategy (and we all know how those end up working out......)

I could end up with a bunch of those picks, or none at all, that's what makes the draft interesting......

Here are the 8 I drafted:
Tris Speaker
Manny Ramirez
Shoeless Joe
Earl Averill
Albert Belle
Jim Thome
Rocky Colavito
LaJoie

6 OF's---so if I get at least several of these, I may have OF's to trade....if I don't, well it looks like Young and Donlin will get Frenzied.....

Rocky of course, is just a fav player pick, when I was a kid I enjoyed his pre-game entertainment of throwing balls from home plate into the CF seats.....
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats