Very surprising poor performance by Gehrig

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

alvarndc

Very surprising poor performance by Gehrig

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 3:16 pm

I used to be very involved with Strat, and really enjoyed it. I decided to step away for various reasons, but now, years later, decided to return.

I remember being frustrated previously that seemingly "bullet proof" players - performance, not injury - would have poor seasons.

I have a few teams going currently, but I built my first one around my favorite real life and Strat player, Lou Gehrig.

I am amazed that through 60 odd games, 250 ABs, the Iron Man is hitting .246 with 12 HRs and 28 RBIs. .246/.351/.481 No obvious culprit other than perhaps some more pitchers rolls than hitters and missing a few opportunities at a bpHR.

I have never seen him perform so poorly. One reason I love Gehrig is in all my previous experience, he was the one guy I always counted on to just plug into the lineup, see him play every inning all year, and he would always put up HOF stats.

Sadly, he seems to be the single reason the team is underperforming.

Any comments on this phenomenon from some of the vets? I suppose he could always go on fire for the second half.

alvarndc

Re: Very surprising poor performance by Gehrig

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Here is a link to the team (I hope)

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1458723

Salty

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 3:38 pm

its surprising given that its an 80mil league-
but of course partly depends on the other parks in your league.
Id assume hes going to improve somewhat.

george barnard

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Check the rolls. 125 on the batter's card, 175 on the pitcher's card. It's no wonder he's not doing as well as you would like. On the other hand, the rolls'll probably even out in the end, so expect at least a few fireworks.

Bill

ScumbyJr

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 10:12 pm

I'm not one of those crafty vets, but by the numbers Gehrig loses 2.4 Home chances off his 1-7 roll playing at Ebbets 1955 with 1-9 BP HP for Lefties.

rburgh

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Yes, you have a LH slugger in a ballpark that favors RH power. Of course he's going to disappoint.

alvarndc

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 11:02 am

rburgh wrote:Yes, you have a LH slugger in a ballpark that favors RH power. Of course he's going to disappoint.

That's overly simplistic. But thanks to you and everyone else for input.

Personally, I think it just must be bad luck of having so many pitcher's rolls. Even 250ABs is a small sample in the long view.

Mumford

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 9:27 pm

rburgh wrote:Yes, you have a LH slugger in a ballpark that favors RH power. Of course he's going to disappoint.

Sometimes the obvious answer is the correct and best answer. Simplistic or not.

alvarndc

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 11:26 am

Mumford wrote:

Sometimes the obvious answer is the correct and best answer. Simplistic or not.

Hard to understand how being LH in a park with bpHR for L=9 makes Gehrig more prone to a sub.250 BA.

Perhaps it might lead to fewer HRs. But in the end, prob just a statistical outlier for a small sample of ABs.

Roosky

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Gehrig has currently lost 9 home runs due to ball park effects. Of course some of them have likely occurred on the road rather than at home but that is 9 less hits for him. Had those all been homers his average would be .270 instead of .247. Losing homeruns certainly does impact a players batting average. But the biggest factor so far appears to be bad luck for the iron horse with a disparate number of rolls on the pitchers card.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats