New Cards Added

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

rburgh

Re: New Cards Added

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 9:14 pm

Williams, Ted 1949 $9.51- I agree that we don't need this card, but it's nice to have a bulletproof Teddy Ballgame.

Lee, Derrek 2005 $9.40- Needed. Helps CHC for team based leagues.

Guerrero, Vladimir 2000 $9.13- Kills RH/Kills LH. I''l take kills RH. - note that the "kills LH" card has 1 less hit, 4 less OB, and five MORE TB against RHP than the "kills RH" card.

Snider, Duke 1954 $9.03- Nice card. But another one? - fills the void in one-way CF's between Fred Lynn and Bobby Murcer. J/K - a useless addition.

Ramirez, Manny 1999 $8.91- Best season. Helps Tribe in leagues.

Belle, Albert 1994 $8.35- See above.

Sheffield, Gary 1996 $8.01- Another Sheff DH card? - I agree, it would be nice to get one of his 3B cards from his Brewer years. or his '92 version from the Padres where he went 330//385/580-33-100.

Belle, Albert 1998 $7.20- Another Belle DH card?

Pena, Carlos 2007 $7.07- Helps TB. Best season as well.

Hafner, Travis 2006 $7.06- Good card. Makes Tribe much better.

Stargell, Willie 1973 $7.06- Best season. But another DH. - I have a team where I plan to use him in LF. That -4 arm is a great equalizer.
Maris, Roger 1960 $6.96- ????? - This is actually a much more useful platoon card than the existing more expensive one.

Lemon, Chet 1979 $6.30- Good choice. Helps DET. - Helps the White Sox more, since he was still in Chicago in 1979.

Crawford, Carl 2010 $6.27- See Pena...

Teixeira, Mark 2005 $6.00- Not his best card IMO. TEX already has Palmiero. - I think he's better than any of the Murray cards, but switch-hitting 1B don't work for me in this game since it's a good place to find reverse splits hitters and loud platoons.

Wells, Vernon 2003 $5.97- Good choice. Helps TOR

Youkilis, Kevin 2007 $5.80- Not his best card. ??? - They only missed by one year. in 2008 his OPS+ went up and he continued to get 600+ PA. Then he started missing a lot of time.

Sievers, Roy 1957 $5.75- Nice Card. Best card. Needed though? - Helps WAS.

Morneau, Justin 2006 $5.05- Helps MIN. Good card. - Always nice to have a reverse LH 1B in the $5 million range. See my comment above.

Polanco, Placido 2007 $4.99- Already have Whitaker. Good card though. - All world defensive replacement for LD leagues, too.

Christensen, Cuckoo 1926 $4.63- Nice card. Good choice. Not an exciting pick... - This card might be the last of this round of adds to be used. It's just sort of "meh" and mainly helps the Reds in franchise leagues.

Pierre, Juan 2004 $3.64- Helps Miami. Good card. - This was clearly his best year and he logged almost 2000 games in the majors. It just gives you some perspective on how amazing some of these guys were.

Vidro, Jose 2000 $3.33- Helps MON @ 2B. Needed. - He'll take some playing time away from McPhee and the Fox-Hubbard platoons in low budget leagues.

Kipnis, Jason 2015 $3.32- I don't get it. ??? Tribe have Alomar already. - Clearly shows the bias for current and recently active players right now.

Beckert, Glenn 1971 $3.06- ???? Cubs have Sandberg. I sorta see this as OK in lower salary leagues. - I agree. And he's another option in the $3-4 million range. You need never worry about getting a good 2B for that price again.

Figgins, Chone 2014 $0.85- Again... WTF? - Great bench player, might be able to use him as a DH at $60 million in Minute Maid.

Kershaw, Clayton 2016 $9.77- Good pick. - Yes, great card, but (like Schupp) horribly overpriced for capped leagues. NO 5-day starter should be priced above Pedro 2000. I have this card rated as the 2nd best overall SP card on a per inning/game basis. Maddux is 3rd. Schupp is 20th (because I account for fielding, and Schupp is a 2e36 with a plus hold).

Ryan, Nolan 1991 $7.13- Nice. But needed? - Yes - this is a hell of a 5-day starter card if you have a catcher who can throw and a middle infield that can turn 2.

Webb, Brandon 2006 $7.00- Good. Helps ARZ. - Nice card, fair price.

Martinez, Dennis 1990 $6.87- Good. Helps MON. - This is another of the many $6.5-7.5 million RH 4-day starters that can help you in the right ballpark.

Jimenez, Ubaldo 2010 $6.69- Good. Helps COL in theme leagues. - Ditto.

Putz, J.J. 2007 $5.10- Good. Needed pick.

Ryan, B.J. 2006 $5.10- Gives TOR another top arm in the pen. - the 6 best 1-inning cards are Gagne, Eck, Rivera, Hoffman, and these two. This pushes the run on RP in live drafts down at least half a round.

Dubose, Eric 2003 $4.93- Helps BAL. - Insanely backwards starter. I plan to use him the next time I play an $80 million team in Minute Maid.

Duren, Ryne 1958 $3.94- Best year. Not exciting. Helps NYY. - See my comment on Ryan above. They would make a great piggyback pair.

Toine

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 7:59 am

I nominated Ted Williams 1949 card; reason being I predominantly play the post WWII set and his only card in that set he was a 4 in LF and he did not have 600 plate appearances , thus he was an injury risk with the injury appearing in the 5/3 spot on his card. In contrast on his new card he is a 0 injury risk and a 3 in Leftfield where can play everyday.
And I agree with others, we needed a new Duke Snider card as much as a new Willie Mays card !

The Last Druid

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 9:03 am

I don't like having to agree with the querulous, not terribly bright, and oh so humbly named, Mr. Baseball World, but I don't really have a problem with a lot of the card adds. There are wildly diverse interests getting input into the process and a lot of the cards that were voted in were very good seasons, that on paper should have been the inductees best year but for various reasons weren't. Pricing is key to how frequently these cards are used. The biggest issue, as I see it, is Garcia's failure to provide screen shots of the nominated cards, which would make for much more informed voting, i.e. the community can see what they are actually voting for. Many of the guys have cards from the 60's to 90's games but there we don't get to see their actual defense and other factors like speed because those are five year averages. The cards that we can look up are those from 2007-2016 and that is helpful. But cards from the 50's and earlier, well they are just a crapshoot.

rburgh

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 9:50 am

Toine makes a good point - guys who spanned eras need to have significant cards on both sides of the fence if possible.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Does anyone know if/when these new cards are going to be added to dope?

Salty

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 2:19 pm

The Last Druid wrote:I don't like having to agree with the querulous, not terribly bright, and oh so humbly named, Mr. Baseball World, but I don't really have a problem with a lot of the card adds. There are wildly diverse interests getting input into the process and a lot of the cards that were voted in were very good seasons, that on paper should have been the inductees best year but for various reasons weren't. Pricing is key to how frequently these cards are used. The biggest issue, as I see it, is Garcia's failure to provide screen shots of the nominated cards, which would make for much more informed voting, i.e. the community can see what they are actually voting for. Many of the guys have cards from the 60's to 90's games but there we don't get to see their actual defense and other factors like speed because those are five year averages. The cards that we can look up are those from 2007-2016 and that is helpful. But cards from the 50's and earlier, well they are just a crapshoot.

Id agree that seeing the cards would be immensely helpful, a lot of the reason there is an issue is the positions- we have similar cards for most of the 1bs, DHs, and corners already. Not seeing defensive ratings is a huge minus.
So perhaps 'unusalbe' isn't the right term, but we are essentially counting on them to be under priced in some way to really be of more than I 'can' use em, or they are just similar to cards that are already available (not counting franchises for which they will be very helpful in some cases).

djp_77

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 1:11 am

I want either the best cards for the best players or cards from the 90's. I grew up watching them so I want their cards. I am glad we got good cards for Vlad, Belle, and Manny. They were some of my favorite players to watch growing up.

I will take a Lankford, Greer, Jordan, Gilkey, Lieberthal, Palmer, Sexson, Burnitz and a Matt Stairs card over a player from 1885 or that Cuckoo card.

YountFan

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 9:21 am

The best additions lately was when they added full teams. Let them start adding teams again as a way to get variety of players. We have enough 10 million dollar players. Beside teams bring in quirky players.
Posted by the real YountFan

Alan Wasilauskas

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 4:04 pm

The 1985 Don Mattingly card, did SOM go a little crazy with the clutch hitting? also 1977 Cliff Johnson had a monster card but all you can find is his 1978 card which is garbage.

Chris Franco

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 pm

YountFan wrote:The best additions lately was when they added full teams. Let them start adding teams again as a way to get variety of players. We have enough 10 million dollar players. Beside teams bring in quirky players.

Agree!
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats