Most RBIs, no homers, for a season?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

The Last Druid

Re: Most RBIs, no homers, for a season?

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Love my goldens too much to subject them to another dog at their age (14). Shepherd's are great dogs, but I am thinking more along the lines of two Caucasian Ovcharka dogs. Along with the Kangal Dog they are pretty much the top two guard dogs on the planet. The Ovcharka are commonly the size of Mastiff's and are a primitive breed descended from the Molossus Dogs used for warfare a couple of millennia ago. Primitive is good because it means organizations like the AKC don't get to screw up the breed by silly conformation standards. They are my top choice for a guard dog because their lifespan is 10-15 years, no other huge breed is so long lived. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0 https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... =0&first=1

Salty

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 2:53 pm

yeesh--

what a crazy story! (and you are right to protect yourself! that's too much of a credible threat not to)
am just guessing this person is suffering from Schizophrenia at this point, and perhaps has the same head trauma caused to football and boxing folks because of repeated blows to the head. :( :(

PS-- Shepherds ARE great dogs-- ive got a 3 legged Aussie and can't believe how great she is with people, especially those with some sort of disability, its pretty amazing.

Hack Wilson

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 8:42 pm

Those are some awesome guard dogs! Hugely awesome. Just put one of them in the front yard -- well, you might as well get a Grizzly bear. :) But I understand about the Goldens, great dogs, I had one a long time ago. And a couple German Shepherds, too. Argo was a dog my dad got from the Army, and he was fiercely protective -- he chased my poor uncle down the street when he came to the door when I was a toddler, and my uncle is like 6-foot-6. No Harm done. Keep us posted, and we stand with you.

The Last Druid

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 10:27 pm

I've always wanted a grizzly bear as a pet, especially as a kid. Brown bears used to be part of the household in Ved-Rus, pre-historic Russia, several thousand years ago and were readily domesticated in that culture.

I got some good news today. I've been doing some daily recon work on this gentleman, and his wife, the alleged "slut" in question, went back to work today as evidenced by the absence of her vehicle in front of her home. Last time he went off his meds and became actively delusional, was February, 2016, and she was out of work several days until he stabilized. So I'm hopeful that he is back on his meds and that the threat level can go from 5 to maybe 2. He wouldn't meet the criteria though for schizophrenia, the age of onset is typically between 18 and 30 and he has been high functioning for his adult life. My tentative diagnosis is paranoid personality disorder upon which is superimposed a psychotic delusional state from being off his meds. I'm not going to let my guard down, sometimes paranoia can be adaptive and someone really is out to get you! But at the same time, I'm not expecting a potentially fatal confrontation in the immediate future and that greatly reduces my stress.

Salt: this guy is Canadian, probably took too many hockey pucks in the head before age 12. I am assuming you refer to yesterday's article in the NY Times on the the negative impact tackle football has on developing brains and the effects that persist through adulthood.

Salty

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Hadn't read that specific article -- but Ive read a few other articles on what can happen with people who experience repeated head trauma and its possible contribution to both future brain degeneration and disease usually studied in both football and boxing;
so once you mentioned he was a former hockey player put 2 + 2 together.

Hopefully the entire situation will resolve itself without any more insanity.

As an aside, am getting much less enjoyment from football after reading about the crazy amounts of meds players are being given. There is an article that came out stating that the cowboys gave over 7000 prescription level doses of anti inflammatories to their players last year alone--- that's just one type of the many many legal drugs they are being given.

The Last Druid

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Salt, I have long believed that football is the modern day equivalent of captured slaves used as gladiators in mortal combat in ancient Rome. Now, instead of slaves, they are obscenely well paid mercenaries. But both serve(d) the same function - both are weapons of mass distraction used by the elite to keep the populace distracted and pacified from the real issues of corrupt, tyrannical states and the mayhem they wreak on the rest of the world, and even their own citizens. When I realized all this about twenty years ago I stopped watching any sports on tv and stopped going to live games as well. Even baseball. And even if professional athletes are highly compensated they would still be little more than chattel were it not for Curt Flood and Dave McNally and others like them that had the courage to stand up to the reserve system. Even with that they are disposable resources to the owners most of whom could care less if they end up brain damaged.

egvrich

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 4:06 pm

The Last Druid wrote:Salt, I have long believed that football is the modern day equivalent of captured slaves used as gladiators in mortal combat in ancient Rome. Now, instead of slaves, they are obscenely well paid mercenaries. But both serve(d) the same function - both are weapons of mass distraction used by the elite to keep the populace distracted and pacified from the real issues of corrupt, tyrannical states and the mayhem they wreak on the rest of the world, and even their own citizens. When I realized all this about twenty years ago I stopped watching any sports on tv and stopped going to live games as well. Even baseball. And even if professional athletes are highly compensated they would still be little more than chattel were it not for Curt Flood and Dave McNally and others like them that had the courage to stand up to the reserve system. Even with that they are disposable resources to the owners most of whom could care less if they end up brain damaged.

Not the first time I've heard that theory and I can't really argue with it. Distraction from the truth. Glad to hear things appear to be normalizing for you.

Salty

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 4:59 pm

yeah--
I recognize the owners don't care about the players at all-- its purely a product to them, although I'm sure some love the game itself too, or just love competition.

Right now, can still enjoy basketball as I haven't heard much in the way of similar stories about abusing players in this way.
I'm guessing part of that might simply be that in football everyones faces are covered so they are anonymous other than the uniforms?
I dunno, just a thought.

sdajr76

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 1:44 am

bump, following.
-steven

The Last Druid

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 7:51 am

Team has been under .500 for the past 30 games. Makes me seriously wonder about normalization. Now they will have to be very lucky to even win 110.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats