STRAT fix Wilcy Moore's card!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

scorehouse

STRAT fix Wilcy Moore's card!

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 7:05 am

moore should be a sp-rp. he started 11 games in 1927. he pitched 5 complete games which is more than today's starters. in September he became a regular in the rotation starting every 5 days.he also so pitched game 1 and 4 of the World Series. in fact he started game 4 on just 2 days rest and threw a complete game! if there ever was a sp-rp in baseball, Wilcy Moore defines the role. STRAT change his card to an sp-rp and adjust the price. thanks

rburgh

Re: STRAT fix Wilcy Moore's card!

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 9:15 pm

They have problems with doing that for historical purposes - because of the rule that a team must have at least 3 pure relievers. Since the 27 Yankees are in as a full team, I am against their making that change.

There are much more glaring issues with the ATG game. I would like to see

1. Guys who played seasons of <162 games have their PA's adjusted for purposes of giving them realistic injury rates.

2. Managers forming leagues should be given the option to have people automatically for the rest of the season if they exceed the card's IP or PA by a certain percentage. I recommend 10%, 25%, and 50% as well as unlimited. 0% is not feasible because of the high offense context with this card set.

3. They should go back and re-price the entire card set. John's current pricing of the card additions is reasonably consistent, but many of the older cards were priced using different pricing models.

scorehouse

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 8:55 am

first of all the 3 reliever rule is a Strat game rule and not an "historical purpose". Wilcy Moore being a starter is an "historical purpose"! all your other ramblings have nothing to do with Moore except i concur he would have to be re-priced. the easy solution to your 3 rp rule would be to have 2 Moore cards. one rp only and the other an historically accurate sp/rp card priced accordingly.

The Last Druid

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Lots of glaring issues, repricing very much toward the top of the list.

BUT I can't ever see that happening. Garcia appears to have primary responsibility for the online game and there is little to no evidence that he remotely cares about either the game or the community, and as long as a positive revenue stream continues it would be naive to expect his behavior to change, short of Richman retiring or dropping dead. Never thought I'd miss Bernie Hou, but he was infinitely more responsive to the community than this little SOM minion is. He can't even keep simple promises like maintaining the weekly blog he is tasked with writing or getting card additions out in a timely fashion, much less ever even broaching the topic of an ATG 9 or a repricing of any sort. We never even get teaser cards anymore and now they sell SUBSCRIPTIONS to view their database of player cards. At the very least, when we nominate a batch of cards to add to ATG, he could take the hour or two to post the cards on his insipid, phantom blog so the community could make informed choices about who gets voted in.

I'm sure many in the community are beyond caring at this point. My conundrum was that I enjoy the game but don't want to give SOM my money to reinforce their perpetual and callous disregard of the community. So I devised a strategy to do so. Less teams but I play for free now. I just spent a few months studying the game more thoroughly which has paid off nicely. In addition to winning 11 rings from my last 20 teams, here is my current playoff situation:
The Wrong Stuff
ATG8 $80M Semi-Finals Barnstormers 2017 Event #2 Lea... Forbes Field '09 1st 104-58 -
Los Angeles Dodgers 1
ATG8 postWW2 $125M Finals Post WWII & Expansion Franchis... Minute Maid Field '05 1st 86-76 -
The Wrong Stuff
ATG8 $100M Finals The Universal Baseball Associa... Forbes Field '57 1st 108-54 -
The Wrong Stuff
ATG8 $80M Finals Auto League 433233 Forbes Field '57 1st 105-57 -
The Wrong Stuff
ATG8 $80M Finals Another DH League Forbes Field '57 1st 106-56

Living well is the BEST revenge.

rburgh

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 5:41 pm

But scorehouse, you can't run the online game without the "3 reliever" rule. It's wired into the basic game engine, it's not a site rule. And there are other more glaring issues with prewar pitchers. I am always amused at the fuss over Dale Murray when there are 151 other "pure reliever" cards in the set who pitched fewer innings than Murray did. 40 of those guys have R3 or higher endurance ratings and also started at least one game in their carded season. Another 11 of them have endurance ratings of R2 and also started a game.

"Fixing" all those cards as you suggest would cripple, for example, Andy's Historical leagues and probably also the entire prewar card set. This card set is a compromise, intended to serve multiple purposes. Nobody is 100% happy with this card set, but we all accept it for what it's worth.

ScumbyJr

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 9:50 pm

rburgh wrote:But scorehouse, you can't run the online game without the "3 reliever" rule. It's wired into the basic game engine, it's not a site rule. And there are other more glaring issues with prewar pitchers. I am always amused at the fuss over Dale Murray when there are 151 other "pure reliever" cards in the set who pitched fewer innings than Murray did. 40 of those guys have R3 or higher endurance ratings and also started at least one game in their carded season. Another 11 of them have endurance ratings of R2 and also started a game.

"Fixing" all those cards as you suggest would cripple, for example, Andy's Historical leagues and probably also the entire prewar card set. This card set is a compromise, intended to serve multiple purposes. Nobody is 100% happy with this card set, but we all accept it for what it's worth.

24 team leagues will run without 3 pure RP when there is a shortage.

scorehouse

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 8:22 am

did not know that!

scorehouse

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 8:29 am

pricing is easy. program the computer to reduce a players price by 5-10% a month based on usage.the computer know which players are never used. initially i wouldn't worry about raising prices.

Whoopycat

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 11:09 am

FYI, Wilcy was a SP/RP card in the early versions of ATG. It was Bernie who changed him to RP only, along with a bunch of other SP/RP pitchers, in order to get more pure RP into the game. I don't recall which version of ATG this happened.

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 11:39 pm

I thought he was RP,SP too

but if the same thing is done to Moore as was done to Forster, Wilcy may be priced out of utility. Forster was around 1.5M as an RP (and I used him a lot) now he is an SP/RP over 3M and I rarely use him,

possibly he was always supposed to be over 3M and when that was 'corrected' the SP was added to make the price more palatable.

any way, if Moore's price was raised to over 6M, i'm not sure that card is worth it.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats