The Super Reliever Fiasco

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

egvrich

Re: The Super Reliever Fiasco

PostFri May 05, 2017 8:33 am

Going to Charlie's point on Beckert (who I nominated by the way ... LOL).

I would actually like to see the cards be more of a career average type of card, rather than 5 of this guy and 4 of that guy, let's truly make it ATG ... For those who don't realize it, it stand for All Time Greats!

Make one career average card of these guys, go ahead and include the Glenn Beckerts and Don Kessingers of the world so we have some cheaper options or backup types.

Gates Brown would become mortal once again, Dale Murray would never get used, etc.

andycummings65

PostFri May 05, 2017 10:00 am

egvrich wrote:Going to Charlie's point on Beckert (who I nominated by the way ... LOL).

I would actually like to see the cards be more of a career average type of card, rather than 5 of this guy and 4 of that guy, let's truly make it ATG ... For those who don't realize it, it stand for All Time Greats!

Make one career average card of these guys, go ahead and include the Glenn Beckerts and Don Kessingers of the world so we have some cheaper options or backup types.

Gates Brown would become mortal once again, Dale Murray would never get used, etc.

That's what I would like to see as well. The thing I don't like about adding the best season for everybody is that some average guy might have one great season (Brady Anderson, or even Roger Maris) that rivals a Hall of Famer, who was consistently great for a number of years. Of course that's the difference between guys like me wanting a set that reflects MLB history vs other guys who just want a great card to play Strat with. As I said earlier, guys like me love MLB history and use Strat as a way to play with those great players. Some guys love Strat and just use the ATG set to get great numbers on a card to play Strat.

george barnard

PostFri May 05, 2017 11:02 am

egvrich wrote:Make one career average card of these guys,

Not sure I'm following...you mean make up a card based on career averages? That's a non-starter in my book. Or do you mean a card that represents a year that comes closest to career averages? That would be fine by me, but good luck getting that card voted in....

And Andy, you can't be serious about Maris. Two times MVP, 7 times an All-Star (okay when they played two games a year), an excellent fielder, member of three World Series champs (Yanks and Cards), the man of whom Casey Stengel said that he never made a mistake in right field nor on the base paths, the player that Mantle said was the best all-around player he had ever seen. I'll leave you with an extract from an excellent article on why Maris should be in the Hall:

Maris has never made it into the Baseball Hall of Fame, and that is a scandal. The case against Maris is this: a somewhat short career (1957 to 1968) and a weak batting average (.260 career). Maris batted only .269 in his famous year of 1961. It didn’t help that he was extremely shy, a cold North Dakotan of Croatian heritage, and unpopular with fans, unlike teammate Mickey Mantle.

The case for Maris to be named to the Hall is much more powerful. He was a two-time league MVP winner (1960, 1961). Of the 11 Major Leaguers who have won back-to-back MVPs and are eligible for the Hall, only Maris and Dale Murphy have not been inducted. Maris’ low batting average isn’t all that damaging. Baseball statistics gurus, such as Bill James, have shown that batting average may be the most overrated stat in the game. Maris walked a lot and drove people home, including himself 61 times in 1961.

Mickey Mantle said this: “Roger Maris was the best all-around baseball player I ever saw.” Maris was a Golden Glove right fielder with a howitzer arm. He was an extremely fast runner. In 1951, as a high school footballer at Fargo, N.D.’s Shanley High, Maris returned four kickoffs for touchdowns in a single game.

What about the short career? In 1965 Maris developed hand problems. He couldn’t check his powerful swing, which left him vulnerable to a high rate of strikeouts. So he instead became a slap hitter, a role he played on the 1967 world champion St. Louis Cardinals. Had Maris had access to today’s huge advances in sports medicine, it’s likely he could have enjoyed a longer career as a slugger.

Steroids began to trickle into American sports in the mid-1960s. A decade later Eastern bloc women on steroids began obliterating every track and field record. Today any high-level sport demanding bursts of strength or speed is suspect. Users have been one step ahead of testers–almost always.

However, 1961 was still an age of innocence. Roger Maris was 6 feet tall and 197 pounds when he began that season. By season’s end, wracked by tension and smoking cigarettes like a fiend–which might have contributed to his death at 51 from lymphoma–Maris was down to 185 pounds.

Do you think any 185-pounder could hit 61 home runs today? Not a chance. Maris belongs in the Hall.

andycummings65

PostFri May 05, 2017 11:26 am

Bill, I was simply pointing out that Maris, though having a fine, albeit short, career, DID have an outlier season in 1961. I don't think that disparages him. I think it can be said that Maris was an outstanding player AND his 1961 season was an outlier. It wasn't as much of an outlier as Brady Anderson's 50 HR season, but Anderson had a good career as well. I was simply stating that I like the idea of a set with the historically best players being the highest$$/best cards in the set, which obviously doesn't work with outlier seasons included. Ted Williams had 17 seasons of an over 1.000 OPS; Luis Gonzalez had 1. I wish they weren't so close in the $$ scale in the set. To return to the Dale Murray argument, he had a 100 career ERA+, but his 1974 card was a whopping 374 ERA+, while Mariano Rivera had a career 205 ERA+, though he never had an ERA+ as high as Murray's huge outlier season. Rivera's awesome CAREER doesn't match up to Murray's ONE season in the Strat $$ scale. Shouldn't be this way.

(I wish the Old Forum Archives had a search feature and I could find the thread(s) when the 1961 Maris was first introduced to ATG. There was quite a debate on whether to add that card, based on it's outlier nature. Any other Strat oldtimers remember that?)
Last edited by andycummings65 on Fri May 05, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

george barnard

PostFri May 05, 2017 11:37 am

Outlier might be a bit harsh when it comes to Maris...

andycummings65

PostFri May 05, 2017 11:38 am

george barnard wrote:Outlier might be a bit harsh when it comes to Maris...

Again, not calling HIM an outlier, saying his 1961 SEASON was.

george barnard

PostFri May 05, 2017 12:43 pm

andycummings65 wrote:
george barnard wrote:Outlier might be a bit harsh when it comes to Maris...

Again, not calling HIM an outlier, saying his 1961 SEASON was.

I'm saying that Maris' career suggests that even the 1961 season wasn't that much of an outlier. His 12-year career OPS+ is 127 with only one year under 100. 1961 was 167, 1960 was 160, 1963 was 146. Yeah, we could have 1962 or 1964 or 1965 with OPS+ around 127, but we should have at the very least 1960 (come on, the guy was MVP).

If I were being really petty, I could also suggest that the 1929 Taylor Douthit is as much an outlier in Douthit's career as the 1961 Maris is for Maris (25% better OPS+ than his career OPS+ -- Maris' 1961 is 31% better). ;)
Last edited by george barnard on Fri May 05, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egvrich

PostFri May 05, 2017 12:58 pm

As to the question of a career card, I mean one card for each player that is representative of that player's average season.

For Babe Ruth, you'd leave off the first couple of years when he was a pitcher and the last couple of years when he was falling apart and you'd have a guy who averaged 50+ HR and 150+ RBI's a year and cost $12-$15 Mill.

Whereas Beckert would have a career average of .283 and be a 2e30 kinda fielder and maybe cost $1.00 mill or so.

Does this make any sense?

george barnard

PostFri May 05, 2017 1:15 pm

egvrich wrote:As to the question of a career card, I mean one card for each player that is representative of that player's average season.

For Babe Ruth, you'd leave off the first couple of years when he was a pitcher and the last couple of years when he was falling apart and you'd have a guy who averaged 50+ HR and 150+ RBI's a year and cost $12-$15 Mill.

Whereas Beckert would have a career average of .283 and be a 2e30 kinda fielder and maybe cost $1.00 mill or so.

Does this make any sense?

I'm still not sure what you mean. You would have Strat concoct a "career average" card? As I said, you can count me out on that. Now, if you wanted to add his 1966 card which comes closest to his "career average", then I would have no problems with that (Beckert's career slash is .283/.318/.345, ops+ of 82; 1966 slash is .287/.317/.348, ops+ of 84, plus he finished 23rd in MVP voting). It's quite remarkable when you look at Beckert's career. In 1971 (the one where he batted .342, the one we are voting on), his ops+ was only 108, which is the same 31% better compared to his career ops+ as Maris' 1961 year is to his career ops+. Man, if only Beckert could take a base on balls from time to time....

andycummings65

PostFri May 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Actually, yes, for some of my earlier nominations when card add process began, I tried to look for an average or slightly above average card to represent my nominations, not usually their best season. However, a lot of the nominations seem to be players best (and maybe not representative) seasons, or unusual statistical oddity seasons.

Again, I'm afraid that ship has sailed.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats