Player Dumping

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Radagast Brown

Player Dumping

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 11:51 pm

This guy has problems with the live draft function (in his defense we all did). He complains bitterly. I tell him, SOM will probably give him a credit. He says, he wants a "re do".

Next he drops Eddie Collins, Cesaer Cedano, Jim Brewer, Loyd Waner, and worst of all Cal Ripken for Orlando Cabrera. I ask him, "what are you doing, why are you dropping some of your best players?". He tells me he has been playing for 53 years and I am crazy.

He has played six seasons with a sub .450 winning percentage... So maybe he is not doing it on purpose... But this is a unlimited cap league and he dropped Cal Ripken's 9.8 million dollar card for Orlando Cabrera. So come on, anyone who has been playing SOM for 50 plus years knows Orlando Cabrera's 5 million dollar card is not even close to Cal Ripken's 9.8 million dollar card. .... And he does all this after asking for a "Re do".

Of course, I am the bad guy (according to him), who is overreacting, and several others immediately pick up his cast offs the next morning, while several more don't because we want to see what SOM says. I didn't pick up Collins, Waner, Ripken and Brewer because it felt like cheating and I had a chance to before everyone. Texas Widowmakers, a few others and I AGREED something seems fishy...

Yes the live draft had problems, but that is no reason to sabotage your team. I told everyone they would probably give credits but I have never heard of a re do. How do 12 guys agree on a re do date, much less a time?

Is wanting a fair league where everyone has a chance to compete, "overreacting"? If so I guess I am guilty. I just wanted to enjoy a nice live draft for once, it turned into a two day headache.

If he hadn't dropped Ripken for O.Cab , I could (maybe) see it all explained away. But that Ripken card is better than O.Cab in any park under ANY circumstances. And he could have traded Eddie Collins, I would have parted with a very good player for Collins.

Salty

Re: Player Dumping

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 12:05 pm

this behavior sounds suspiciously like someone who has done this in previous leagues; almost the exact same scenario actually-- where after a computer problem he decided to start dumping a bunch of players.

He threw a tantrum when he was confronted over it.

SoM ended up taking over his team.

Radagast Brown

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 5:11 pm

At every turn he keeps downgrading his team, and we are still in the preseason. He just let more players go.

Is the whole SOM company really off for Presidents' Day?

Radagast Brown

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Strat-O-Matic came through and solved the problem, I need to learn more patience.

LMBombers

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 3:49 pm

What was the solution?

Radagast Brown

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 2:35 pm

LM Bombers, They gave everyone in the league a free credit for the problems with the live draft application. So even if this guy starts dumping more great players, at least this league was free.... I am hoping everyone will be satisfied and not act out by losing on purpose..... I am more than satisfied with the free credit.

I don't really have first hand experience with this but I have heard if a manager just dumps all his best players for no reason SOM will step in and take over the offender's team. Which is really the best they can do.

I admit I was a little impatient, I had forgot about President's Day. I figured SOM would give us a credit for all the live draft difficulties but even so I was still very impressed with them when they did offer the free credit. :D

I guess we will still have to keep a look out for this particular manager. I hate being confrontational and it could be tough to tell if someone is just making stupid moves out of lack of experience or out of some kind of spite, or even to help another team (as in collusion). But the last straw for me, with this guy, was dumping Cal Ripken for Orlando Cabrera (keep in mind there is no salary cap). And that was far from the only horrible move he made. He just dropped Eddie Collins, he did have Rogers Hornsby but he could have traded Collins. He also dropped J. Brewer (RP), Cesar Cedeno, Eddie Collins, Cal Ripken, Rickey Henderson, and several other players for inferior players. And everyone of those drops were picked up immediately...

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats