ATG Powercreep

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

nels52

Re: ATG Powercreep

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Interesting stuff on the usage based pricing. I've never really been on board but the idea of their price being affected by how many times they are DRAFTED not just used, is pretty awesome. The problem is: not enough plays for this underfunded game. That's my biggest recommendation to strat, is up the ante on their super awesome product. Advertising and then hopefully a way more immersive fusion version of their games. Obv. standardized prices become wwaaaay something else then but I digress. Or do I? I bring this up because A. I want to, and B. Don't we have alot of waaay different modes now? 200 mil, 80 mil, the idealistic 60 mils?

rgburgh started us off here with some great thoughts on the cost curve. I just started looking at this recently, dubbing it Eversdenerp, in honor of Bobby Wallace's former false equated equal. Rgburgh, my charting left me using the simple -7 NERP for all guys because, I suppose/don't remember if I did ALL the crappy .5 guys, but did guys of merit, and reasoned you got about 7 NERP for nothing. Didn't even factor in Speed, arm, inj and was pretty please with the correlation though it favors lower priced guys. Frankly, I think this is maybe an inevitable part of the pricing (1 NERP at top costs more as you say) but I think it is more likely that its also because these 4-7 mil dollar crushinators are more damaging to league ERA. Kal Daniels should be way more and the powers that be should price him assuming he's being used VERY effeciently. Right?

Management can't be nieve about pricing guys "hoping" that guys liike Gates Brown will be used ineffectively with Maury Wills batting leadoff or something.

For the record, i don't think the pricing is very far off, but know it hasn't been changed in yearyearsyearyearsyears and is an amalgamation of at least 2 regimes and has increasingly varied.....hopefully its doable for strato.

League ERA should be considered while not infringing on managers liberty to make disgustingly lopsided or whatever teams. 80 mil (or some new midpoint?) should be the consideration. Back to rgburgh's livedraft pricing for the high guys. Without being rude or dumb, why? at 200 mil or 999 mil, does not paying that much for Juan Gonzalez really matter? to the 140 crowds, kinda deal. Price should be determined by caps where it matters? Is that narrow-minded? :D

nels52

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 1:09 pm

*Amidst that stupid statement, I also prioritize price, saying it's the most important stat. I just think yeah, that'd definitely be problematic to supe up the price of guys just because they're nice tools in a 200 mil league.

BC15NY

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 8:07 pm

A lot of good stuff...

I agree with rburgh re the usage pricing. It doesn't seem like a viable path for the company to take. In that regard it is worth pointing out in my opinion that ideas need to also be measured against what would be practical and at the least, not less profitable for the game company. Constant repricing of the huge ATG set doesn't seem to fit either criteria.

As far as pricing for cards like Gates Brown and Dale Murray; the right solution to me seems to be to remove them from the set altogether. Gates Brown shouldn't be out-producing Ty Cobb or Al Kaline, and Dale Murray was far from the greatest reliever in MLB history, yet he is certainly at the top of the heap in ATG.

I think the search for the best values in the set is part of the enjoyment of playing the game. I think the cards should be repriced with the release of ATG9, then again with ATG10, etc.

Thanks,
Bill

andycummings65

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 10:10 pm

BC15NY wrote:As far as pricing for cards like Gates Brown and Dale Murray; the right solution to me seems to be to remove them from the set altogether. Gates Brown shouldn't be out-producing Ty Cobb or Al Kaline, and Dale Murray was far from the greatest reliever in MLB history, yet he is certainly at the top of the heap in ATG.

Unleashed Set and MLB set.
There are two sets in the 20xx game; give us two here. Unleashed takes in all the cards, outliers, etc.
MLB Set is only MLB cards from like 1894-present, no outliers.......

I think somebody has said this before ;)
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats