HOF voting

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

gkhd11a

Re: HOF voting

PostTue Jan 17, 2017 1:55 am

Valen wrote:
I've always felt sportswriters award bonus points in their estimation of players if they've been loyal to one team their entire careers like Ripken and Gwynn were.

The thought occurs to me it could be coincidence. Players in general since the advent of free agency have been less and less likely to spend entire careers with one team. So modern era players are less likely to fit mold of played for only one team. And there appears to be a bias against modern players as a consequence of the steroid era. So while it may be a true statement the root cause could be in doubt. It could be the era that has reduced number of players getting voted in as the root cause with the loyalty issue being a side effect.

Otherwise I would think that playing for multiple teams would get you exposed up close to more writers and help build support for your candidacy.

49 players have been added since 2000, why is this a low number? (average of 3 per year added to the hall of fame and more than 20% of the members in 20% of the years, Are you looking for more to get in, with another 16 years who are the 49 present players that you think will get in and what are the underserving souls other than the 49 you would add in the next 16 years that won’t get in? That means nearly 7 percent of the current players playing the game will make the Hall of Fame. Perhaps if they double it they can change the name to Baseball Hall of the Pretty Good.

Mr Baseball World

PostTue Jan 17, 2017 4:23 am

17 of the 49 elected since 2000 finished their careers before 1950. Mazeroski and Santo were also elected after a substantial gap since their playing days.

Casey89

Another blank ballot

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 1:44 am

This poor guy flunks English 101. This counts as a NO vote, not an ABSTAIN. It would be a dirty rotten shame if Raines or Pudge or Vlad missed by one or two votes because of boneheaded sportswriters like this. I don't understand why they return a BLANK ballot. That counts as a submitted vote, and punishes EVERYBODY. Simply don't mail it in, and save your sanctimonious "look at me" crap for the newspaper.

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/ind ... iver_index

Mr Baseball World

PostWed Jan 18, 2017 6:17 pm

My prediction is Rained, Hoffman and Bagwell get in. Vlad and pudge will be close. Bonds and Clemens get to 55 percent or so.

Valen

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 3:33 am

17 of the 49 elected since 2000 finished their careers before 1950

So only 32 of those players finished their careers after 1950. Thanks Mr. Baseball World for catching that.

with another 16 years who are the 49 present players that you think will get in

Well over the next 16 years let me see. I am going to include those still eligible who are not in. Also note that I am going to name those I think will get in and not necessarily who I think should get in. Two different things. For example I personally take a hard stand against PED users and those who were primarily DHs. But Manny getting 24% after TWO failed tests and the steady increase in votes for Bonds and Clemens tells me the voters are softening on that for whatever reason. And Papi will certainly get in so clearly the voters are not in agreement with me.

From the current ballot I think these will eventually make it.
Trevor Hoffman, Vlad, Edgar Martinez, Clemens, Bonds, Mussina, Lee Smith,
Current playing
Adrian Beltre, Miguel Cabrera, Paul Goldshmidt, Mike Trout, Carlos Beltran, Ichiro Suzuki, Albert Pujols, Mike Trout, Robinson Cano, Dustin Pedroia, Tulowitzki, Evan Longoria, Ian Kinsler, Buster Posey, Yadier Molina, Verlander, Felix Hernandez, Madison Bumgarner, Aroldis Chapman, Joey Votto, Giancarlo Stanton, Manny Machado, Bryce Harper, Jose Altuve, Nolan Aranado, Mariano Rivera, Chipper Jones, Jim Thome, Todd Helton, Derek Jeter, Scott Rolen, Clayton Kershaw, CC Sabathia

Missing but should be in.
Fred McGriff, Larry Walker, Adrian Gonzalez, Chase Utley, Jeff Kent,

Borderline...
Roy Halladay, Andrew Jones, Paul Konerko

I also think anyone with 400+ saves should be in and everyone with 300+ should be in the discussion.

A little early to say but could see their careers taking a HOF arc.
Roughned Odor, Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Eric Hosmer, Degrom, Kyle Hendricks, Strasburg, Syndergaard, Brian Dozer, , Chris Davis, Salvador Perez, Billy Hamilton, Correa, Seager, Jonathan Villar, Kyle Hendricks, Zach Greinke, Cole Hamels, Max Scherzer, David Price, Chris Sale, Yu Darvish, Trevor Story, Craig Kembrel

If the voters continue to soften on Roids...
Sosa and Mac
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats