Hall of Fame Veterans Committee

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

supertyphoon

Hall of Fame Veterans Committee

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 11:10 pm

I would not be surprised, looking at the list of 10 finalists under consideration, if Mark McGwire gets the 12 votes needed from the 16 committee members this Sunday to merit induction into the HOF. I think the players and executives will take a more tolerant view of his career than the BBWAA did during his 10 years of eligibility on the ballot.

http://baseballhall.org/hof/2017-todays-game-era-ballot

Valen

Re: Hall of Fame Veterans Committee

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 2:20 pm

On the other hand might take a look at who the 16 voters are. Lot of former players in there and you know how most of them view PED users. But that is as a group generally. Anyone know if any of the specific people on the committee have made strong statements along those lines?

supertyphoon

Selig and Schuerholz voted in

PostSun Dec 04, 2016 8:41 pm

No surprise that McGwire didn't make it this year, I guess. The newly constituted veterans committees have a history of rewarding non-players. This makes 17 managers and executives elected, versus only three players: Bill Mazeroski in 2001, Joe Gordon in 2009 and Ron Santo in 2012.

bontomn

Re: Hall of Fame Veterans Committee

PostSun Dec 04, 2016 9:53 pm

I can't quibble with Schuerholz, who should have been the unanimous choice he was, but I don't think Selig should have been even close to being admitted. Also sorry about McGwire not making it. Have been able to watch him a lot more as the Padres' bench coach, and have come to like him a lot. He's humble and refreshingly honest, two qualities I admire. Have any bench coaches ever been admitted to Cooperstown?

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats