Franchise League -- Step-Structured Salary Cap Thoughts

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

blineimages

Franchise League -- Step-Structured Salary Cap Thoughts

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 7:37 pm

There are 6 owners signed up for this 12 team league. There have been no new signups for quite some time. I immediately found the idea appealing, tried to make my favorite team work, but due to the very limited ballpark choices for that team, there was no way I would have a chance---if I did have the right ballpark, I could have a very good team.
Some thoughts.
Love this idea, but it has some real issues of any kind of a level playing field. The first selected franchises are of course those that were in the most World Series, and have the most teams, players, ballparks---Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, Cards etc. ---giving the first people in the league a distinct advantage.
How to fix this? Easy, make it random franchise selection (using a randomizer) once the league is full, thereby making it a true challenge. Just as an initial suggestion, the 12 franchises to randomize could be the Yankees, Dodgers, Cards, Pirates, Athletics, Red Sox, Giants, Pirates, Cubs, Indians, Braves and the Reds (or something close to that)

I think it will be very difficult to get the last 3-4 owners to sign up unless the franchise selection is randomized.

If it was randomized, I would join in a heartbeat. Just my 2 cents.....

andycummings65

Re: Franchise League -- Step-Structured Salary Cap Thoughts

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Franchise leagues DO NOT WORK if you don't randomize, instead of grabbing the Yankees for yourself. And even if you do randomize, if you aren't creative in making some roster assignments or creating fair caps, it's still difficult.

bontomn

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 8:42 pm

An alternative to randomizing, which Andy has perfected, is to commit to multi-seasons, then rotating the franchises, thus allowing each manager to play each franchise once. This takes the luck of the draw out of the randomization for sure.

blineimages

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 11:30 pm

good points, I agree. i bet this league doesn't fill unless randomized and/or rotated...

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats