Shifting Sands theme

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Treyomo

Shifting Sands theme

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 10:18 am

Would anyone care to delve into the dark, mysterious world of the Shifting Sands theme league? For those not familiar, here is the concept:

- 100M, DH, autodraft, waivers, 5/10/20
- Each manager introduces a theme that either requires a specific player type or restricts use of a certain segment of the player pool

EXAMPLES:
qwerty theme - every manager must have at least one player with a q, x, or z in his name (first or last)
Nolaids theme - no relief - no pure relievers over 3M
Honoring the Negro Leagues hurlers - every team must have one Negro League pitcher on its roster
And many, many more much wackier than these - be creative!

- As new themes are introduced by new managers, the group reviews the list of themes to make sure they are not in conflict or are overly restrictive
- The result is a limited player pool that does not allow a manager to build his prototypical team type but must fit into the complex web of themes
- The commissioner and his assistants (in other words, all of us) will review the remaining player pool to make sure each position has a reasonable number of players to choose from (we don't want to be left with 6 available catchers and 20 total SPs, though that might be entertaining :twisted: )

These normally involve a few days worth of back and forth, discussing and negotiating the various themes that are introduced, and are not for the faint of heart or impatient.

We're also going to go old school for the order, which will determine the order in which themes are introduced. Instead of the boring old randomizer, we're going into the wayback machine and using Lotto Numbers. Pick a state/province that has a nightly Pick 3 drawing, and the night we are filled that number will be selected. Theme order will be highest to lowest Pick 3 #.

Sign up below if interested. FYI, if we fill over the weekend, I will be unavailable, so either someone else will manage the draft order and initial themes or we will wait until my return Monday morning. All aboard!

1. Treyomo - WI

Coffeeholic

Re: Shifting Sands theme

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 1:23 pm

Would anyone care to delve into the dark, mysterious world of the Shifting Sands theme league? For those not familiar, here is the concept:

- Each manager introduces a theme that either requires a specific player type or restricts use of a certain segment of the player pool

EXAMPLES:
qwerty theme - every manager must have at least one player with a q, x, or z in his name (first or last)
Honoring the Negro Leagues hurlers - every team must have one Negro League pitcher on its roster

- As new themes are introduced by new managers, the group reviews the list of themes to make sure they are not in conflict or are overly restrictive
- The result is a limited player pool that does not allow a manager to build his prototypical team type but must fit into the complex web of themes
- The commissioner and his assistants (in other words, all of us) will review the remaining player pool to make sure each position has a reasonable number of players to choose from (we don't want to be left with 6 available catchers and 20 total SPs, though that might be entertaining :twisted: )

These normally involve a few days worth of back and forth, discussing and negotiating the various themes that are introduced, and are not for the faint of heart or impatient.

We're also going to go old school for the order, which will determine the order in which themes are introduced. Instead of the boring old randomizer, we're going into the wayback machine and using Lotto Numbers. Pick a state/province that has a nightly Pick 3 drawing, and the night we are filled that number will be selected. Theme order will be highest to lowest Pick 3 #.

Sign up below if interested. FYI, if we fill over the weekend, I will be unavailable, so either someone else will manage the draft order and initial themes or we will wait until my return Monday morning. All aboard!

1. Treyomo - WI
2. Coffeeholic - NY

doug_tucker10

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 4:07 pm

EXAMPLES:

1. Treyomo - WI
2. Coffeeholic - NY
3. DougT - MASS

rburgh

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 6:20 pm

EXAMPLES:

1. Treyomo - WI
2. Coffeeholic - NY
3. DougT - MASS
4. rburgh - PA

Treyomo

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 3:14 pm

Cancelled due to lack of interest, won't have time to run this theme for the next few weeks.

The Biomechanical Man

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 4:43 pm

Since Treyomo pulled the plug on this league, allow me to invite you to join the 1982 league called "No Direction Home". This 1982 league is 24 teams, so like Treyomo's league was going to be, No Direction Home is "a limited player pool that does not allow a manager to build his prototypical team type".

FoggyOne

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 12:38 pm

As the father of "Shifting Sands" theme (self back pat), be warned. It requires MUCH debate on the boards to make sure the 12 themes work as a whole. I am tempted to join and see if enough follow even though I know squat about ATG.

FoggyOne

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Just saw cancellation..............never mind.

KEVINEHLE

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 1:06 pm

EXAMPLES:

1. Treyomo - WI
2. Coffeeholic - NY
3. DougT - MASS
4. rburgh - PA
5. ehlekev - ID

Wow--blast from the past. I used to be a part of something exactly like this from 2004 to 2007. It was basically a theme of the month. All 12 guys had a shot at their own theme over a 12 month period. I miss those days. Count me in.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats