How is this possible?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

danielz

How is this possible?

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 11:09 pm

The first 20 rolls on opponents hitters cards.

TOP OF INNING 1
0 W.Wells 2-2 HBP b-1 F9
SUBSTITUTION at PR: Johnny Logan
INJURY: W. Wells for 3 more games
0 1 C.Jones 2-10 Ground Out (2B) Double Play 1-o b-0 F9
2 H.Aaron 3-6 Ground Out (3B) b-0 F9
BOTTOM OF INNING 1

TOP OF INNING 2
0 E.Mathews 3-4 Ground Out (P) b-0 bpSI 1-8 F9
1 H.Duffy 1-10 Double (CF) b-2 F9
1 2 B.Boone 1-6 Single (RF) 2-H b-1 F9
1 1 B.Hamilton 1-10 Fly Out (RF) b-0 bpSI 1-8 F9
2 1 A.Galarraga 3-8 Strike Out b-0 F9
BOTTOM OF INNING 2

TOP OF INNING 3
0 J.Torre 3-7 Single (LF) b-1 F9
0 1 J.Logan Sac Bunt (3B) 1-2 b-0 F9
1 2 C.Jones 1-5 Double (CF) 2-H b-2 F9
1 2 H.Aaron 1-8 Single (CF) 2-3 b-1 F9
1 1 3 E.Mathews 1-7 Walk 1-2 b-1 F9
1 123 H.Duffy 1-9 Home Run (CF) 3-H 2-H 1-H b-H F7
SUBSTITUTION at P: Jason Isringhausen (role: Middle Man)
1 B.Boone 1-6 Single (RF) b-1 F9
1 1 B.Hamilton 2-8 Single (LF) 1-3 b-2 F9
1 23 A.Galarraga 1-11 Foul Out (SS) b-0 bpSI 1-8 F9
2 23 J.Torre 2-10 Pop Out (SS) b-0 F8
BOTTOM OF INNING 3

TOP OF INNING 4
0 J.Logan 3-6 Single (CF) b-1 F0
SUBSTITUTION at P: Hank Robinson (role: Middle Man)
0 1 C.Jones 3-10 Single (CF) 1-2 b-1 F9

rburgh

Re: How is this possible?

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 11:16 pm

It can happen - it's a 1 in a million shot. But this site probably plays at least that many games every year - 12 team leagues have 972 games (plus playoffs) and 24-team leagues have 1954 games (plus playoffs).

People lose at poker with 4 aces, why do you think this is worth commenting?

Surely you don't believe somebody went to the trouble of writing special code for weird things to happen in your games only.

gkhd11a

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 12:03 am

rburgh wrote:It can happen - it's a 1 in a million shot. But this site probably plays at least that many games every year - 12 team leagues have 972 games (plus playoffs) and 24-team leagues have 1954 games (plus playoffs).

People lose at poker with 4 aces, why do you think this is worth commenting?

Surely you don't believe somebody went to the trouble of writing special code for weird things to happen in your games only.

No I would look to see who else was in the league and if they have a friend in the programming department, I have seen so many statistically improbable happenings with hitters and pitcher rolls since they started displaying them that I no longer have any confidence this is a fair game. Think about how often one should see this, once in a lifetime. You would have to play in 8,333 12 team leagues and look at every single persons game to notice this occurred and then the likelihood of catching this would be 50% in other words after looking at every single game in detail for 8333 leagues it is still just as likely to have not happened as to actually happen.

And using Poker where people lose with 4 Aces is no proof of anything, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FwKVwX5k3A

Of course online poker had the biggest cheat of all time with “respected” poker pros being given the hands of people they were playing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORI5fC7EzZc
In one case it was Hamilton a former World Series of Poker winner who was found to be colluding with 4 other individuals - see 60 minutes show, in another Howard Lederer and gang at Full Tilt cheated people out of millions, it is just so easy for people to do they don’t worry about getting caught but they leave evidence with nonsensical mathmatical possibilities. It does not even have to be known by the site itself it could be a rouge employee as in one of the cases above, or it could be a hacker that breaks into the program for grins and just enjoys it. But the unbelievable odds are the clues that something is wrong.

So when you see something that is 1 in 1,048,576 chance of happening, it makes much more sense that it is more likely the programming than it is chance, strictly based on human nature
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ_QLpfXoUM

Radagast Brown

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 10:26 pm

The first one is easy, "With the power of soul , anything is possible".

No seriously, the first gentleman explained it perfectly.

But but but, if I don't win, "THE SYSTEM IS RIGGED". Hmm, where else have I heard that recently? Oh yeah, THAT GUY said, " I am going to win so much America will be tired of winning". But I think he meant to say, "I am going to whine so much, America will be tired of whining".Well, at least this conspiracy theorist waited for the games to end to complain that they are rigged. Unlike that other guy in the news.

Radagast Brown

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 10:30 pm

The poker cheats were making big money, I assume. ... I don't think people who are good enough at hacking are going to waste their time (and risk jail time) for what,.. bragging rights? Do you really think a free credit is worth risking jail time? Please.

Radagast Brown

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 10:33 pm

I blame the liberal medias.

kunkel40

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 11:32 pm

There is no way to explain why this game does things that make no sense. Things like losing 3 games in a row with Sutter pitching and the winning run in all 3 games are from wild pitches. That is just 1 of thousands of things that don't make since.

emart

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 12:23 am

For the past several months I've been seeing more and more what seem to be unusual results with dice roll numbers. There have always been back-to-back rolls with the same result, but I'm seeing back-to-back-to-back rolls more than ever now - at least it seems to me. Also see the same roll result multiple times in an inning or across a half inning more often than I ever remember. Same with this example in the 3rd, 6 in a row in the 1 column, and 7 of 10 that inning.

Its occurred to me that there could be a bug in whatever program they are using to generate dice rolls.

Chompsky

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 1:58 pm

When something analogous to this occurs to me I have the same reaction as Danielz. Some of these results can boggle your mind. Of course, when I am the beneficiary I just revel in it!

Radagast Brown re: whining is very funny and also spot on (imho).

ROBERTLATORRE

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 10:01 pm

I once sat and watched roulette dealers spin 21 straight times in the upper 12. Couldn't believe it, pit boss swapped out the croupier after 10 in a row, then the replacement spun 12 more. Was ridiculous!

A buddy of mine was a dealer and swore that experienced ones could land it in a wedge of 8-10 numbers on the wheel whenever they wanted, but that didn't lend itself to the upper 12.

I've also been at a craps table where the shooter threw for over an hour one time, SO MUCH MONEY left the table!!!! And yes the dice got swapped out no less than 10 times LOL. It was 5 deep at the table and security was EVERYWHERE.

Ah the good old days before having to save for college tuition ;-)

Stuff happens that can't be explained!
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats