Sutter wins MVP and Cy

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

tmatthews

Sutter wins MVP and Cy

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 10:21 pm

I just completed the regular season in a $100 no-DH league. Bruce Sutter was my set-up man and closer. He did a great job - an 11-5 record and 50 saves. With a 2.83 ERA and 1.03 WHIP and 223 Ks in 184.2 innings.

Even with those nice numbers, I was shocked when I checked out the Awards Voting at the end of the season. Bruce walked away with a lot of hardware….MVP, Cy Young, Rolaids, and most votes on the All-Star ballot. I have never seen a starting pitcher do this, let alone an RP. He had to beat some very big hitting stats from Piazza, Stan the Man, Hornsby and others to win the MVP. And 23 win season from Feller and Alexander.

This is the first time I have had a truly dominant Sutter season. I looked a bit deeper into Sutter’s stats and they were pretty cool. He recorded a win or save in 65% of my teams wins. He finished in the top 4 for the following categories: ERA (#1), WHIP (2), Saves (1), Save % (1), Ks/9 innings (4), fewest HRs / 9 innings (3), opponent BA (2), inherited runners score (3), strikeouts/walks (3), games pitched in (1), games finished (1). He even uncorked 19 wild pitches to finish #2 in that category! Scrolling through his stats, I even found a 3 inning, 8 K win.

I really enjoyed Sutter’s season. I am interested if anyone has seen an MVP and Cy season from an RP. How unusual is this? Here is a link to the voting. http://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/sta ... son/430924

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats