Koufax

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

supertyphoon

Koufax

PostFri Oct 07, 2016 10:29 pm

Wow 50 years already since he retired?

Nice read about one of the all-time greats, and what made the difference once he stopped being a thrower and became a pitcher.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ax/503036/

Radagast Brown

Re: Koufax

PostSat Oct 08, 2016 12:26 am

That was an interesting read, thanks much for posting....

So much in baseball has changed, like pitch counts and giant bullpens. When will the National League step into the 1970s and adopt the DH? The article credited Koufax's batting as one of the reasons for his injuries and early retirement... But more importantly, in Major League Baseball isn't it about seeing the best. Watching many pitchers bat is like watching a college quality batter try to hit MLB pitching.

People will say, but what about the strategy, well strategy is not everything.... If the NFL made the teams' punters play QB for one play every other series, it would add more strategy, it would however not make the game better... I want to see the best hitters hit and the best pitchers pitch. It is long past due for the N.L. to institute the DH, for the sake of the fans, players and the sake of the entertainment value of the game.
If I want to see a community college quality batter, I will go to a college game. Let's let the best players do what they do best.

STEVE F

PostSat Oct 08, 2016 12:40 am

I disagree. All you need to do is watch the post season games so far to see that the NL still plays a superior brand of Baseball

honestiago

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 9:18 pm

I think the AL needs to play the game as it was originally intended.

Radagast Brown

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 10:45 pm

In other words, because it has always been this way, why change? Or is it the perceived extra strategy involved?

What if Koufax could have pitched another couple of years if he didn't have to bat? Isn't it a little silly. I do not like watching pitchers hit, they can't even bunt anymore.

I also think MLB should expand the rosters by at least one or two. They already let the teams use 26 players during double headers...

Radagast Brown

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Letting pitchers hit is the equivalent of having your QB play safety, which was done years ago. The professional games have become more specialized for a reason. I would always rather see the best players doing what they do best.

If the bat boy was forced to bat once every game, that would add strategy as well, but it would not make the game better to watch..... I think it is inevitable that we will see the DH in the National League, whether it is in 10 years or a 100, it will happen.

I just watched a National League scrub try to get a bunt down, in the pitcher's spot in the lineup, it was riveting. They can't even bunt, it is ridiculous.

I am not a big fan of Big Pop Out, I mean David Ortiz, but without the DH, he might have retired a decade ago.

Also, how often are really good N.L. pitchers who are pitching a great game pulled because they can't even get a bunt down? You guys think that is a good thing???

Radagast Brown

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 11:16 pm

I think the AL needs to play the game as it was originally intended.

I think the "original" rules where quite different from today's N.L. game.

Other than, "Because that is the way god intended it", are there other advantages over the DH you can think of? What if originally they had thought of the DH?

STEVE F

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 11:34 pm

All I can say is that I'd rather watch a NL game over an AL game any day of the week.

Radagast Brown

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 11:45 pm

I do like small ball, speed, defense, fielding and balance, so if that is N.L. ball, I do like that style. I can understand your point about N.L. ball.

jet40

PostSat Oct 15, 2016 12:05 am

I see arguments on both sides concerning the DH.
I actually like it the way it is, one league with, one without.
Just call me Switzerland.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats