The Gentleman's Theme League II $120mil DH Full

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Coffeeholic

The Gentleman's Theme League II $120mil DH Full

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 4:34 pm

Create your own goofy theme for your team.

I would ask that you please try to stay away from themes like: "How many games can I win" or "How best to win in Minute Maid"; etc. I'm thinking more of themes like: "Players who share the same birthday as me" or "Players of Irish heritage" or "Players who played for the Seattle Pilots", etc.. whatever floats your boat... just make it a fun theme in which you can still be competitive.

I'm calling this "The Gentleman's Theme League" because I hope this will be a league in which we will agree to help out other managers with their themes with trades, if the offers are reasonable and will still leave the recipient with a viable option to replace a traded player. (ie. "Can you trade me Larry Walker because my Canadian born theme pool of players is so limited? There a many other Right field options available to you")

We'll take a look at things after the draft to see if there are adjustments or clarifications to the rules which are necessary.

Public League open to all... c'mon in... first time was a blast!
Last edited by Coffeeholic on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Kris Weinschenker

Re: The Gentleman's Theme League II $120mil DH

PostFri Oct 07, 2016 2:23 pm

Newbie to 365(but not Strato) here...

Would an "all name" team of the likes of Rube Marquard, Honus Wagner, Johnny Gooch and Mookie Wilson be an acceptable theme?

Coffeeholic

PostSat Oct 08, 2016 4:38 pm

Hey Kris, welcome to Strat online.

Not sure exactly what "all name" represents. I had a theme team just recently which was all nicknames however: Yogi; Babe; Lefty; Three Finger; etc.

Kris Weinschenker

PostTue Oct 11, 2016 3:50 pm

I guess it's kinda subjective.

I did try to do it a bit in the auto league I joined, but Hank Aaron, Steve Carlton, and Ralph Liner wouldn't really apply

Coffeeholic

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 10:33 am

Need 4 more to draft.

There must be a theme you've wanted to try but were afraid to give it a whirl in a regular league? Well, here's your chance to try it out in a league where everyone else is experimenting with a theme!

Radagast Brown

Re: The Gentleman's Theme League II $120mil DH needs 4

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 4:44 pm

I was considering joining your league, which seems fun. I just have a few concerns. There don't seem to be many rules, which could create problems. For instance, what if two people pick the same theme?

I assume players who fit into several themes like, Irish heritage, Last name starts with B, etc, would be on a first come first get basis based on the auto draft, as well as each manager's ranking? And like you said, we would be gentleman and obviously release the players we get that don't fit within the framework our theme?

Finally, if I did something like, only players who played for Post Word War Two California teams, is that too vague? I am not going to lie, winning is important to me, but if you feel this theme is too vague, I would not be crushed. ... I am a little worried about the vagueness of the rules... I know it is called," The Gentleman's Theme League", and hopefully you will get 12 gentleman, but one person can really throw a monkey wrench in the works.

Are you at least having people declare what their theme is pre draft, to make sure no two are the same, and no one is doing something too vague or ridiculous?

djp_77

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 5:27 pm

I think the cap is too high. 100 million would have been better. The themes I was excited about are not good for 120. With 100 million you can win with different strategies.

jet40

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 7:40 pm

I love trying new themes. I have a couple in mind but they were conceived with 80 or 100 million caps in mind.
Good luck and have fun, if you do this again at a smaller cap I would love to join.

Radagast Brown

PostThu Oct 13, 2016 10:39 pm

I am usually more interested in the lower caps as well, though I thought of giving this a try... Best of luck!

Coffeeholic

Re: The Gentleman's Theme League II $120mil DH needs 1

PostFri Oct 14, 2016 6:31 am

League is full

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats