"Whites" Only Please.

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Radagast Brown

"Whites" Only Please.

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 10:36 pm

Every record before 1947 should come with a giant asterisks.... The players back then would struggle mightily against today's players. The player pool is literally over a million times larger than in the bad old days of Babe Ruth.... If Babe Ruth were around today he would be an average player at best.... Alright old white guys, go ahead, if your head hasn't already exploded.

Radagast Brown

Re: "Whites" Only Please.

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 10:42 pm

If you took Russell Branyan or Billy Butler in their prime and sent them back to 1927 they would hit 50 or 60 homeruns.

Radagast Brown

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 11:19 pm

In fairness to MLB. the league did integrate a lot quicker than other sectors of American society.

In 1947 Harry Truman integrated the military. Both public and military polls showed up to and more than 90% of people thought it was a bad idea. Harry Truman did it anyway. That feat took political balls the likes of which we have not since seen.

After World War Two where whites and blacks died helping the British and the Soviet Army liberate Europe, "black" soldiers came home and increasingly wondered why they were treated like heroes in Europe and second class citizens here at home. This was the impetus for Branch Rickey and Jackie Robinson, and Larry Doby to break the so called, "Color barrier".

It is hysterical to me that people were adamant that Roger Maris' single season homerun record come with an asterisks, when the record that deserved the asterisks was Babe Ruth's record. Ruth never faced a single non white pitcher in meaningful competition.... You can bellyache that it was not Ruth's fault," boo hoo poor Ruth", how about fighting for your country, and coming home and living with Jim Crow laws for another couple decades, as a second class citizen. Excuse me, but phuck Babe Ruth!

DGF102052

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 12:34 pm

I agree if Babe Ruth was playing today that he be only an average player which would be great considering that he be 121 years old.

Roosky

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 4:27 pm

Me thinks you have lost your mind. Why single out Ruth? What about Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Rogers Hornsby and a bunch of others? If you took Josh Gibson and put him in todays game he would only be average as well. I really don't get your point. The game has changed. I do think that if Ruth was born today he would still grow into a hall of fame player and I believe the same for Josh Gibson and other past stars. They were great in their time and if born in this time they would be great again. If you just took them from their era and placed them in this one they would likely struggle. Just my two cents. We will see when they all face off at the field of dreams.

The Biomechanical Man

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 5:36 pm

DGF102052 wrote:I agree if Babe Ruth was playing today that he be only an average player which would be great considering that he be 121 years old.

Funny :lol:

bcp7

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 1:59 am

It is difficult to determine how good the players of any era would compare to other eras.
Yes - the player pool was much smaller, but the best players were still elite athletes.
How many time are you going to beat this dead horse, we get it.

jet40

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 4:13 am

Almost impossible to compare era's.
I believe stars a hundred years ago would be stars today.
While the player pool then was much smaller, these five star athletes almost always chose baseball. Today a lot choose football.

Valen

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Martin Luther King would probably roll over in his grave and have nightmares if he could see today how many people go out of their way to pick a race fight. His dream after all was for people of all colors to be able to walk down the street and not notice the difference in their skin color.

I challenge all to practice what he preached. The past is what it was. Nothing anyone can do to change that. Bottom line today any black young man who wants to play only has to be a better player than his current peers.

nymets99

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 5:11 pm

Valen wrote:Martin Luther King would probably roll over in his grave and have nightmares if he could see today how many people go out of their way to pick a race fight. His dream after all was for people of all colors to be able to walk down the street and not notice the difference in their skin color.

I challenge all to practice what he preached. The past is what it was. Nothing anyone can do to change that. Bottom line today any black young man who wants to play only has to be a better player than his current peers.

Very well said Valen I agree with you 100 percent. All we should be observing is can someone do something or not , nothing else!!
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats