Help please. How do I set this lineup?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

chris.sied@yahoo.com

Help please. How do I set this lineup?

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 6:53 am

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1433277

I have both right fielders injured, but Robinson is only out the first 2. All 3 games coming up are against right handed pitching, and I would like to have Hack get moved over to right field with Berger staying in center, but I would settle for Hack in center and Berger in right.

It would be simple if Robinson were out all 3, but I dont want to lose Wilson as my DH in the 3rd game of the series.

I think what I want to do is leave RF blank, put Berger in CF, and Samuel as the backup DH. While we have reached a point where the DH will move into the field (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=640892), I am not sure if HAL will still do that if he would be moving out of position (i.e CF to RF). I lost the last game when Goodman got put into RF, made a 2 base error that led to a Grand Slam in a 1 run loss.

So any input on this would be appreciated please.

ScumbyJr

Re: Help please. How do I set this lineup?

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 4:22 pm

chris.sied@yahoo.com wrote:http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1433277

I have both right fielders injured, but Robinson is only out the first 2. All 3 games coming up are against right handed pitching, and I would like to have Hack get moved over to right field with Berger staying in center, but I would settle for Hack in center and Berger in right.

It would be simple if Robinson were out all 3, but I dont want to lose Wilson as my DH in the 3rd game of the series.

I think what I want to do is leave RF blank, put Berger in CF, and Samuel as the backup DH. While we have reached a point where the DH will move into the field (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=640892), I am not sure if HAL will still do that if he would be moving out of position (i.e CF to RF). I lost the last game when Goodman got put into RF, made a 2 base error that led to a Grand Slam in a 1 run loss.

So any input on this would be appreciated please.

If you make Hack backup RF to Robinson, out Berger in CF and Samuel at backup DH to Hack won't Frank play RF in the 3rd game with Hack back to DH?

MARCPELLETIER

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Actually, I don't know.

I guess I would try to put Wilson at dh AND as a backup cf, and "hope" that Hal does like he did in other thread with Allen and moves Berger to rf. One thing for sure though: I would leave the rf completely void of any assigned player, confident that Hal will pick up Robinson for the third game.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 5:48 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:
If you make Hack backup RF to Robinson, out Berger in CF and Samuel at backup DH to Hack won't Frank play RF in the 3rd game with Hack back to DH?

Hack is not listed as a RF so I dont have the option of listing him as the backup.

gkhd11a

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Need to leave DH Blank and RF Blank, HAL should pick Hack for RF and probably your backup catcher for DH that is not a bad outcome

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 6:33 pm

gkhd11a wrote:Need to leave DH Blank and RF Blank, HAL should pick Hack for RF and probably your backup catcher for DH that is not a bad outcome

I would be ok with that outcome, but have always wondered why HAL likes the backup catcher in these situations. Any ideas why that is a common choice for HAL?

MARCPELLETIER

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 7:11 pm

First guy on the list

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 7:13 pm

MARCPELLETIER wrote:First guy on the list

and here I thought there was some deep reasoning behind HAL. :lol:

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 7:27 am

In the end, I left RF empty and in the leadoff spot (where Robinson normally is) and DH empty in the cleanup spot where I bat Hack.

So here is the outcome.

Wilson played right, and HAL did pick Samuel to play DH ahead of Ed Hearn. Best 2 choices there. The only thing that did not come out as I expected is that Wilson was slotted into the #8 hole in the order, and Samuel was 9.

For game 3, when Robinson was back, he played right, Wilson played DH, Robinson hit 8th and Wilson 9th.

All in all, a pretty good outcome.

george barnard

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 7:45 am

Here's the link to Garcia's blog on lineups and injuries about six months back.

http://forum.365.strat-o-matic.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=640343&sid=4d3e7be013d86d6f06fee15bf7b4d42b
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats