Any Bridge Players out there?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Coffeeholic

Any Bridge Players out there?

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 2:51 pm

Been 25-30 years since I've played, but I've been thinking of picking the game up again. I'm looking for a good on-line site (tutorial) that could serve as a nice medium for re-learning the game... any suggestions?

andycummings65

Re: Any Bridge Players out there?

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 3:12 pm

Get bontomn to weigh in. He's into bridge..................and also I think he was around when London Bridge was built, so there's that. ;) :lol: 8-)

rburgh

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 4:57 pm

www.bridgebaseonline.com

Then look for the BIL (Beginners Intermediates Lounge)

You can look for me too, I'm 1stPanda there.

hallerose

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 6:46 pm

If you want to play duplicate, you can try ACBL.org. I like bridgewinners.org. There now are dozens of websites that will discuss and explain virtually any modern convention. Bridge/conventions have changed a lot in the last 20-30 years (nobody plays Goren anymore).

http://www.acbl.org/helpfuldocuments/

bontomn

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 8:48 pm

Craig is right. Bridge Base Online is a good place to start if you want to play online. But the ACBL (American Contract Bridge League) site is also good to review conventions that might not have been used 25 years ago but are now standard for most intermediate players. Me, I play duplicate bridge at my local club six afternoons a week and do not play online at all. I practice online with Bridge Baron, another site in which you can design whatever system you want to play against. If you want to play against real people, the ACBL site can help you find the closest bridge club, which will welcome you with open arms. Most clubs have regular afternoon and/or morning games, some for beginners only, with only a few, if any, night games. It's no secret that most duplicate players are seniors, usually recent retirees. It's great competition and a fun way to exercise your mind.

And the several times I've been on London Bridge, it did not look as though it had been built the day before.

emart

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 12:05 am

Never played Bridge, always played Canasta or Cribbage in my family. Is Bridge difficult to learn and play competently for a guy in his 50's?

hallerose

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 11:48 am

bontomn

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 9:12 pm

Anybody who can play Strat as well as you, Eric, will find it easy to LEARN bridge. But it will take a little longer to play competently. But not that long. If there's a bridge club near you (go to The ACBL website and click on Clubs in the upper left. It lists all of the available clubs in each city and state), and contact that club and ask if they have beginner classes. If so, try them; if not, ask if they know another club nearby that does offer them. That will get you into playing very quickly and then the "competently" part is up to you. Warning: It's an addictive game, like Strat, but most of the players are cordial and welcoming. It's a great social event as well. Many of the newcomers I've mentored over the last few years definitely have become competent after only a couple of months. I try to play with them as often as possible.

hallerose

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Learning the basics are not that hard, especially if have have played other card games. Within a couple/few hours of reading, studying and/or lessons you should be able to play. There are still some people who play "social" bridge, which is generally less intense and stressful. The vast majority of the "good" players do play duplicate. You can find duplicate games at ACBL.org. At duplicate games, you will find some beginners and inexperienced players, but most of the players take it fairly seriously (but are friendly). If you are committed to learning and getting better, you should have no trouble improving and getting good players to play with you. There are good articles and summaries on almost every topic and convention on the internet. When some partner suggests we play some new convention, I just go home and google it and learn it. I had never played duplicate before last year, and now have numerous life masters regularly asking to play with me and I will probably be a life master in a couple years.

Coffeeholic

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks for all the positive responses guys! Bridge Baron and ACBL are sites that friends in non-Strat land have also recommended.

Guess that'll be a a few logical first steps for me to take...

Thanks so much!
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats