Ichiro -3001 - He made it!!!!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

lanier64

Ichiro -3001 - He made it!!!!

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 11:54 am

He is only 12 hits away from 3000!!! He's going to make it this year if he doesn't get injured. I have used him many times as I'm sure a great many of you have. He has never disapointed me. Go Ichiro!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/suzukic01.shtml
Last edited by lanier64 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 12 times in total.

lanier64

Re: Ichiro

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 10:50 am

Now he is only 20 away!!!!!

supertyphoon

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 6:42 pm

I went to a game in Miami on May 23rd where it seemed like he single-handedly won the game for the Marlins on offense and defense, and pushed his BA over .400 as well. He appears ageless. After last season I assumed his career was drawing to a close, but he's been incredible this year, I hope he keeps it up. In an era of high whiffs, I appreciate the fact he's only struck out 7 times this year. How many players nowadays have more BB than K? He wouldn't be an outrageous All=Star roster fill selection IMO.

Hack Wilson

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 10:08 pm

Tip of the hat to Ichiro. Rose still has the hits record, of course, and that debate is nonsense, comparing apples to oranges. But Ichiro was the better all-around player in MLB -- better fielder, better baserunner, and about the equal hitter roughly.

ScumbyJr

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 10:56 pm

Hack Wilson wrote:Tip of the hat to Ichiro. Rose still has the hits record, of course, and that debate is nonsense, comparing apples to oranges. But Ichiro was the better all-around player in MLB -- better fielder, better baserunner, and about the equal hitter roughly.

Not so fast. Rose played many infield positions ( and well) that Ichiro didn't.

Hack Wilson

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 8:37 am

The numbers don't back the claim that Rose played many infield positions very well -- he comes in quite a bit below the league range factor for career at games played at 2B, 3B and 1B. Also, he has negative ratings in Total Zone Rating at those positions. However, he was an outstanding outfielder on those same ratings. Overall, he was more versatile than Ichiro, to be sure. Though they were known for their hits, they are two different types of players, both unique in their own ways.

lanier64

Re: Ichiro - Only 16 hits away

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 7:06 pm

He is now on 16 hits away.

lanier64

Re: Ichiro - Only 12 hits away

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 4:21 pm

He's going to make it this year if doesn't get injured.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/suzukic01.shtml

The Last Druid

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 5:55 pm

I don't know that Suzuki was a better ball player than Rose. Certainly he was better defensively and nominally a better baserunner, but Rose was no slouch in that capacity - just ask Bud Harrelson or Ray Fosse. I would say that Rose was a significantly better hitter though, the 118 vs 108 adjusted OPS speaks to that. Rose had a much better on base pct. and also looks like he had a better secondary average, he was a doubles monster. But I think that there are also intangibles. Rose was an intimidating guy on the field and a real sparkplug whose teams did very well over quite a long period. The intensity that he brought to the game makes him stand out IMHO and made the players around him better. And he was amazingly versatile.

Davesodu

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Having more hits than Rose is quite an accomplishment but I don't get people saying Ichiro is the all time hit king. There didn't seem to be a lot of debate between Aaron and Sadaharu Oh even though Oh had more HRs. I guess it is probably the internet giving a loud voice to a few people who didn't have this opportunity 30 years ago. Ichiro is a fantastic player and probably a HOF guy. You can make arguments that he is better than Rose (speed, great arm, etc. ) but I don't see how anyone can say he should be in the record book instead of Rose unless you start counting all Japanese stats, not just Ichiro's hits.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats