Biggest discrepancy between simulated & real life HR

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

danielz

Re: Biggest discrepancy between simulated & real life HR

PostSun May 22, 2016 8:35 pm

rburgh wrote: All other LHB's that year combined for a total of 1 HR in that park, in about 2000 PA's. .

I don't think so.
In the Giants 8th home game, Burnitz of the Brewers Homered. i stopped searching there and went to the end of the season.
In home game #79, Game 160, Shawn Green of the Dodgers homered.
That's 2.
I'll leave it up to someone else to check the other 70 Giant home games.

danielz

PostSun May 22, 2016 8:46 pm

My vote would be Milt May.
I know he hit 41 for me once as a platoon. I'm sure someone else played him every day and he hit 50.
This was back before they changed his card. His arm was a +1 instead of a +2 and he was an E instead of a 4R

Valen

PostSun May 22, 2016 10:37 pm

Yes, Bonds has 8 # which is the max. That means the strat card will hit more HRs in ballparks with high HR ratings. I do not contend that the results we see are rigged to be different than the cards. I do contend that few if any of Bonds HRs had anything to do with what park he was or was not in and therefore for him the 8 # is too many.

Also have to agree with Druid that 8 is probably too high as a max for all hitters and results in more of a boost than most if not all hitters should have. In my opinion that algorithm was established in the early days of strat when the accuracy of the simulation was more difficult to test and the scheme was to some extent a result of winging it. The convention of the 8 # max for most top HR hitters has carried forward as it would be difficult if not impossible to to retrofit the cards. That means we have to accept a certain amount of inaccuracy.

Valen

PostMon May 23, 2016 4:47 pm

I once got 40 HRs out of Petrocelli(67) playing in Fenway(67) the exact same park he played at in real life.
With 17 in real life that was more than double. I remember someone toward end of season asking me how I was pulling that off. If I had any idea I would have repeated that on every team since.

danielz

PostMon May 23, 2016 7:09 pm

Is Bonds card inaccurate?
I don't think so.
I just completed a league where Bonds hit 105 HR
I took his Home and Road at bats and multiplied them by .515 which was the rate shakes were on his card. Then I split those at bats by 73% that he faced a Righty and 27% he faced a lefty. For home games his BP HR number was 8. For road games I added up the BP factors in games played and divided by road games played. His BP HR number for road games was 4.6
His card should have given him
34 HR vs. RH at home
10 HR vs. LH at Home
26 HR vs. RH on road
8 HR vs. LH on road

That's a total of 78, more than the 73 real life but he had 43 more at bats in simulated season and he hit against righties 73% of the time instead of 70% in real life.
The extra 27 HR either came off pitcher cards or very good luck.
Being a $140 league, I would say most were from good luck.

PATRICKCASSIDY

PostWed May 25, 2016 4:40 am

I wuz gonna ask the same thing - only 1 other HR by an LHB in that park that season?

and only 2000 ABs seems low too.

WeatherNut

PostWed May 25, 2016 12:42 pm

Just a note about Goslin 1926: He hit all 17 of his HR that year on the road. No kidding. ZERO at home. Griffith was a very tough HR park. I think we already knew that.

WN
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats