My friend, Private Jet Mama's Boys

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

modmark46

Re: My friend, Private Jet Mama's Boys

PostSun Aug 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Tough news; very sad to hear this. He was a great guy here in the community, as I'm sure he was in his life. And gone way too soon from this world. :cry:

bontomn

PostSun Aug 14, 2016 9:08 pm

Devastating news about a good friend and one of the best Strat managers ever.

george barnard

PostMon Aug 15, 2016 5:25 am

Kev's passing saddens me as it has all of you. Even though we competed in several leagues, he and I were never "in the same league". And despite his prowess and his competiveness, he was always willing to help and guide. If there is a lesson in Kev's death for me to take away it would be this: you never know how you will touch people. A random act of kindness, here by quietly suggesting alternatives to one's boneheadedness, elsewhere by helping someone lost, a quick hello to a stranger, just listening. We are a small but intrepid band brought together by our love of baseball, history, statistics, competition. We come from a wide cross section of jobs and other interests. But at the end of the day (as the British would say), it all boils down to the same thing. We may have for many of us only a virtual connection with each other (some seem to have been lucky to have known Kev), but we rely on the goodwill of our community. Now for me to apply that idea to a larger community.

Thank you, Kev, for reminding me of that most essential lesson.

Bill

nomo4evers

PostMon Aug 15, 2016 5:47 am

Really sorry to hear. Just finished a league with him less then a month ago. He was a really good guy.

modmark46

PostMon Aug 15, 2016 8:44 am

I played in his Weasels of Distinction keeper League for many seasons. Just went back and looked at some of those past teams. Found some league mails between Kev and I from just after I lost my wife to cancer, back in 2012. His posts to me were so compassionate, and he took over running several of my teams for me while I took a break from the game to deal with my grief, and attend to my family. And now he also has been taken by cancer. It seems like the good really do die young. :cry:

paolocosmo

PostMon Aug 15, 2016 11:53 am

Kev, I don't know you personally, but you and your family are in my prayers during this most difficult time.
God bless,
Paolo

Junior Guidry

PostMon Aug 15, 2016 7:15 pm

Ditto to all of the above. We try to concoct clever, tongue-in-cheek names for our teams and the leagues in which they play (my personal favorite, The Big Bad Ban Bud (Selig) League), but the fact is no one ever came up with a better team name than "Private Jet Mama's Boys." I always perked up when I landed in his league, and he has truly been in a league of his own through Strat-O-Matic history.

Heck, he's made Strat-O-Matic history.

Godspeed, Kevin — The Private Jets are roaring your name, and The Mama's Boys are singing harmony ...

jet40

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 5:44 am

Terrible news.

PJ Axelsson

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 9:24 pm

:cry:

I hate coming back to news like this. PJMB was one of the originals for this online game. Spent so many hours of my life enjoying time with Kev and at the same time, lamenting how to deal with his team. Back when this started, as you old timers will remember, most of these hours were the 12am-4am range. Those were the days. But he was always, always, a welcome sight. Loved having him in my leagues, and loved any message he'd send my way. The sight of anything PJMB related was welcome. That's what I remember, and won't forget!

:)

PJ Axelsson

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 9:30 pm

In fact, I believe it was Kev with whom I would chat at the weird hours about how much fun this was, both of us hitting F5 waiting for the frenzy, and both of us feeling like this was the best, who needs sleep, and what could be better than the excitement of waiting for the draft and the frenzy.

Whenever he was in a frenzy league with me, I could be assured he'd be up hitting F5 and loving every minute...hour...hours of it. Didn't Kev win the 12 team dream team league as well? I think he was on top there. That was a great theme back in the day.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats