Pitchers Who Steal

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

mykeedee

Re: Pitchers Who Steal

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 10:50 am

You can check out supplemental running/stealing rating for pitchers on the Strat-O-Matic Game Site. Highlight Connect, go to Roster Sheet Archive. All the season are listed, but not all have supplemental steal ratings. The 1920 Ray Caldwell is 2-12 for the lead and his steal numbers are 20-6!

Mike

Whoopycat

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Cripes, no wonder he takes off every time... he's got the best steal rating in the game!

I'm still trying to figure out the '41 Dolph Camilli steal rating. Based on his rating he should only steal 1 or 2 bases max per season, but he usually steals 10-12 for me every time I use him, which is way out of line for a "D" rated base stealer. There has to be an error in the card data.

Valen

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 5:35 pm

Spot-checking suggests that some of the other pitchers did have positive real life steal stats. For example Bob Gibson (69) was 5-2 (in '68 1-1).

Guess after the mound was raised Gibby decided he needed something extra to offset the advantage gained by hitters.

I'm still trying to figure out the '41 Dolph Camilli steal rating. Based on his rating he should only steal 1 or 2 bases max per season, but he usually steals 10-12 for me every time I use him, which is way out of line for a "D" rated base stealer. There has to be an error in the card data.

This is just a display error. Dolph only appeared to steal some bases but it was just an optical illusion.

gkhd11a

Re: Strange Case of Amos Rusie

PostFri Feb 05, 2016 12:14 am

Maxie Minoso wrote:Amos Rusie (1887) steals bases at an alarming rate in ATG 6-8. In the fifteen seasons I checked in which he attempted a steal he was successful 83% in 60 attempts

Amos Rusie (1887) was credited with one stolen base that year according to Baseball Reference.

Rusie's attempts, as with the other pitchers, has little or no relationship with the manager's SB settings. He stole five bases for one team (1395511) which had a grand total of 22 attempts. On another (1400302) he stole four bases. That team's total attempts was 16.

Maxie

So in 1500 seasons you checked Amos Rusie stole a base in 15 of them - 1 percent of the total leagues and averaged 4 attempts per 162 games? While it is a somewhat interesting topic another equally interesting question would be why did he not steal in the other 1485 leagues? Why is this "an alarming rate?" I assume there were DH leagues and leagues he wasn't in but I am having a hard time with 700 stolen base attempts in 1500 seasons by all pitchers be alarming just because they did not steal in the real world being even relevant when a pitcher that only pitched 69 innings in the real world routinely pitches 300 innings here and is rated an R4, I suppose the difference is we can control that while not the stolen bases but would it be ok if we knew how to manipulate Russ Amos to get 20 stolen bases per year or perhaps more or to use him as a pinch runner? Was he used as a pinch runner in any of those stolen base attempts?

Maxie Minoso

PostFri Feb 05, 2016 11:10 am

In the fifteen seasons I checked....
So in 1500 seasons you checked....

Maxie

gkhd11a

PostSat Feb 06, 2016 1:18 am

Maxie Minoso wrote:
In the fifteen seasons I checked....
So in 1500 seasons you checked....

Maxie

You wrote: "The totals are far from complete as pitchers hitting stats from only about 1500 leagues were compiled."

And then there were only 15 seasons that Amos Russie had stolen a base, I am presuming from the hitting stats of those 15 seasons, so there are 1485 seasons that do not have an Amos Russie steal?
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats