Hall of Fame Based Theme League

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Radagast Brown

Hall of Fame Based Theme League

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 4:15 pm

Has anyone ever done a Hall of Fame based theme league, and if so how did you do it?... As I understand it there are about 250 some Hall Of Fame players... I was thinking maybe one way to do it would be say the only expensive players you can use must be Hall of Fame players.... Each of the 12 teams could have about 20 Hall of Famers, or so,.... and then you could fill out the rest of your roster with non Hall of Famers but they would have to be under a certain salary...??

jfreeman

Re: Hall of Fame Based Theme League

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 4:48 pm

I ran one of these several years ago. Criteria for team selection was "what hat did the player select for the HOF." Leads to a couple interesting twists where players like Speaker end up on Cleveland. I seem to recall some confusion about what team Foxx was on (A's?). Nel's didn't have enough pure RP so we allowed any RP from a non-drafted team to be selected. League was lots of fun and worthwhile.

tony best

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 5:05 pm

I would be interested.

Radagast Brown

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 10:45 pm

SOM has the Hall of Famers grouped into teams but I wonder how you would group them into 12 teams, I think they have them grouped into 10 teams by era, league etc... I guess you could have a draft of the Hall of Famers on the boards and then you would have let people fill in their rosters with non Hall of Famers but maybe those guys would have to be under a certain salary so the true stars of the league would be Hall of Famers as opposed to one hit wonder guys like Gates Brown, Dale Murray, etc..

Michael Grammes

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Somewhere, there has to be a list of hall of fame players, with positions. Also, somewhere on these boards, is a list to do a position draft, where all 12 members would get first pick for 1 position.

12 teams, at 20 rounds is 240 players. I'm sure, there wouldn't be enough pitchers to go around. So figure out an even number of pitchers, the correct corresponding number of rounds, and ta-da(!) your over half way there.

Maybe toss in a rule for stadiums that a manager must use a stadium that one of his players played in.

Positions for a position draft would be your standard 8 positions, 1 RP, 2 SP, and a DH round (the DH round, would not start until the other 11 first round picks would be made. Also, you could do 1 RP, 1 SP, and 1 Any pitcher

All this, would be if I were to get in something like this, this would be how I might want the league to be sorted out. However, I am too busy (strat wise) to get in another league at the moment.

Radagast Brown

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 11:25 pm

I like all of the above Michael except maybe letting the managers use any stadium and letting them use non Hall of Famers as backup players but they must be under say 2.00 million or something like that!

modmark46

PostSat Jan 30, 2016 12:15 pm

Or maybe have one or two managers run teams made up of NON HOF players. There would be plenty of players to choose from. How would teams with the NeL players (ones NOT in the HOF) and the rest stack up to those great HOF teams? You could probably get 10 viable HOF teams that way.

Radagast Brown

PostSat Jan 30, 2016 6:12 pm

That's not a bad idea, a couple of non Hall of Famers, (but should have been) like Shoeless Joe, Pete Rose,Alan Trammell and such to fill out the league or teams. Or just two teams of non Hall of Famers... SOM had that heroes set that was guys not in the Hall yet, or guys like Rose and Jackson and Barry Bonds. And that was exactly two teams, like you propose. There could also maybe be a team of NeL. players that aren't in the Hall.

Radagast Brown

PostSat Jan 30, 2016 6:20 pm

I am going to try to find that list of two teams made by Strat-O-Matic to be played with their Hall of Fame team player groupings. It was called, The Heroes Set, and those teams maybe could compete with ten Hall of Fame teams. Because those teams had, Barry Bonds, Pete Rose, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Alan Trammell, Bobby Bonds, Mark McGuire, Sama Sosa, Time Raines tons of great relief pitchers and so on. That Heroes set was broken down into A.L. and N.L. teams ... I am not sure if they could compete with ten Hall of Fame teams, but maybe they could,..... with a cap maybe?

modmark46

PostSun Jan 31, 2016 9:10 am

Just looking at the first page of the ATG8 player set, a non HOF team could use:

HITTERS
Barry Bonds
Ross Barnes
Mark McGwire
Larry Walker
Alex Rodriguez
Derek Jeter
Albert Pujols

PITCHERS
Dutch B. Leonard
Luis Tiant
Clayton Kershaw
Ed Reulbach
Jack Pfiester
Joe Wood
Sam McDowell
Lady Baldwin
(that's not even halfway down the first page)

Plus there should be a few very useable cards from the 22 soon to be added that a non HOF team could use, I would think.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats