Predictable injuries?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Corky

Predictable injuries?

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 8:10 am

Maybe it's just my bad luck (or good luck) but I've noticed a pattern on a lot of my teams, mostly with the guys who are eligible for 15 game injuries (on the 2 or 3 roll mostly). Either they don't go down at all and play the season unscathed or their on the DL on many different occasions. I rarely see much in between. I've certainly have had this happen with the 94' Griffey card as I use it often. Several seasons with no injury at all but others he can't stay off the DL. In a current season through only 96 games he's been injured 5 different times already for a total of 31 games and currently on a 7 game stint.

It seems as if you make it past a certain point your good to go but he goes down early and you could be in for a long season...

labratory

Re: Predictable injuries?

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 11:37 am

I don't know if it is individual players or whole teams. Some teams tend to stay relatively healthy and other teams will have 4 or 5 devastating injuries to different players. I remember a team where my $0.75 backup outfielder got 100 at bats before either of my $8 mil corner outfielders. You just can't plan for that.

Valen

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 4:05 pm

If you are going to use players with 15 game injury risks you almost have to plan for that sort of thing.
In ATG I tend to stay away from injury risk. Just too many options that are just 3 game risks or even bullet proof.

Ragnarokpc

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 4:54 pm

What Valen said. You have a couple oif injury prone outfielders? Spend a little more on a backup who can fill in when they're hurt. If you don't want to spend that money, try for players who won't get hurt. But yeah, you need to recognize that those players are a bit of a gamble and plan accordingly.

nevdully's

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 5:24 pm

Corky wrote:Maybe it's just my bad luck (or good luck) but I've noticed a pattern on a lot of my teams, mostly with the guys who are eligible for 15 game injuries (on the 2 or 3 roll mostly). Either they don't go down at all and play the season unscathed or their on the DL on many different occasions. I rarely see much in between. I've certainly have had this happen with the 94' Griffey card as I use it often. Several seasons with no injury at all but others he can't stay off the DL. In a current season through only 96 games he's been injured 5 different times already for a total of 31 games and currently on a 7 game stint.

It seems as if you make it past a certain point your good to go but he goes down early and you could be in for a long season...

Yes I find that too....I remember way back in the beginning I didn't even realize F. Alou was a 15 game risk, and I used him a lot...Then couldn't keep him healthy on a whole bunch of teams.

Also if you play many teams at once it seems when a guy gets hurt on one, he gets hurt on a couple of others too.

nevdully's

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 5:26 pm

Ellis Valentine would often play 158-162 games a season....OR....miss 35+...not much middle ground there

danielz

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 12:13 am

My worst ever was Campanella. He played in less than 100 games.
Never used him again.

Treyomo

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 12:42 am

Personally, I love 15 game injury guys. Get them at a discount, get great production while they're healthy, and find the right cheap replacements. My last two 100+ win teams have had lineups of 8 15+ injury guys.

Take this team, for example. 7 15+ injury guys allows me to afford top line SPs - despite almost 300 ABs from my subs due to injuries, we are still 49-29 because of good SP and great production from the healthy players. We're overperforming, but it's still a solid lineup.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1117785

chunga1

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 8:57 am

i hate the risk

BDWard

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 11:11 am

nevdully's wrote:Also if you play many teams at once it seems when a guy gets hurt on one, he gets hurt on a couple of others too.

Yes, I've noticed this as well. It has happened so often that it has made me wonder if it is more than mere coincidence and if some players are secretly programmed to have a higher injury probability at certain times.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats