Roberto Clemente
Al Kaline
Dwight Evans
Lloyd Waner
Kiki Cuyler

Corky

Re: Rate my team:

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 3:36 pm

andycummings65 wrote:If you want to draft 4's for your corners and 2's for CF, it's fine by me. 8-) ;)

I don't know if you meant a 2 in CF along with 4's in the corners on the same team or just in general. There have been many championships won with 2's in CF and I wouldn't hesitate to play them. In fact there was a thread a while back where a successful player had argued you could be successful even with 3's in CF, although I've only been brave enough to try that once and failed.

djmacb

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 5:16 pm

schwabdude12 wrote:
djmacb wrote:Klein is not right for your park. You want to spend your $ on guys who can run and field. You don't want to give up extra base runners. Klein's 4e12 is a nightmare. You also don't want to waste cash paying for ball park HRs that are useless in your home park. There are a lot of better options - Cuyler is great, cheap Joe J, Gwynn if you can find another $1M, I've used Wheat. Agree with other comments about North - not a fan.

Cuyler definitely intrigues me - I am strongly thinking about getting him. Thanks.

Don't know that I can come up with another 1M for Gwynn though.

Using the cheap Joe Jackson in Royals '80... mixed opinion on him at the moment, but I will consider him as well. Isn't Wheat's defense similar to Klein (only I think Klein has a better arm?)? (Meant that as a question, not a criticism).

If you look closely you'll see Wheat is an anomaly. He's a 4 in LF, but a 2 in RF.
Cuyler is better than Wheat, but Wheat is better than Klein.

schwabdude12

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 5:37 pm

djmacb wrote:
schwabdude12 wrote:
djmacb wrote:Klein is not right for your park. You want to spend your $ on guys who can run and field. You don't want to give up extra base runners. Klein's 4e12 is a nightmare. You also don't want to waste cash paying for ball park HRs that are useless in your home park. There are a lot of better options - Cuyler is great, cheap Joe J, Gwynn if you can find another $1M, I've used Wheat. Agree with other comments about North - not a fan.

Cuyler definitely intrigues me - I am strongly thinking about getting him. Thanks.

Don't know that I can come up with another 1M for Gwynn though.

Using the cheap Joe Jackson in Royals '80... mixed opinion on him at the moment, but I will consider him as well. Isn't Wheat's defense similar to Klein (only I think Klein has a better arm?)? (Meant that as a question, not a criticism).

If you look closely you'll see Wheat is an anomaly. He's a 4 in LF, but a 2 in RF.
Cuyler is better than Wheat, but Wheat is better than Klein.

Sorry - I missed that. Must have been Wheat's LF rating I was looking at. My apologies.

General question - does having a SP staff capable of striking out a lot of batters (Pedro, Nolan Ryan, Langston) make any difference? My thought is that it should result in fewer balls in play, and fewer flies for my OF not to catch...

Probably not a significant difference though.

schwabdude12

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 5:40 pm

I do want to thank you all for your comments, I do take them seriously, and appreciate them. If I don't use them this season, I may next season (or the one after, or the one after that).

Like I said - this is only my 4th team. I've had a little success with the first two (completed) and the third's in the stretch drive, trying to hold on to a division lead. Does this mean I'm an expert and can't learn from all of you? For sure not!

Thanks again!

andycummings65

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 6:57 pm

Corky wrote:
andycummings65 wrote:If you want to draft 4's for your corners and 2's for CF, it's fine by me. 8-) ;)

I don't know if you meant a 2 in CF along with 4's in the corners on the same team or just in general. There have been many championships won with 2's in CF and I wouldn't hesitate to play them. In fact there was a thread a while back where a successful player had argued you could be successful even with 3's in CF, although I've only been brave enough to try that once and failed.

What I was saying is, in Forbes57, I don't want to be playing 4's in the corners and 2's in CF, which is what schwabdude listed as his squad at the top of the thread. To me, especially in Forbes57, that is suicide. I have used Felipe Alou in CF before, and I love the expensive Mantle in a hitter's park. I've used Hack Wilson in CF, mostly in Franchise Leagues.

recent Hack Wilson Cubs team
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1105467
Last edited by andycummings65 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andycummings65

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 6:59 pm

schwabdude12 wrote:Just another thought.

What does anyone think of some of the following as potential RF's on my team:

Roberto Clemente
Al Kaline
Dwight Evans
Lloyd Waner
Kiki Cuyler

Roberto Clemente--Love him (6.58 version) in Forbes57, used him many times. Just make sure your lineup is balanced
Al Kaline--Nope, not in Forbes57
Dwight Evans--Nope, not in Forbes57
Lloyd Waner--fair, but has never impressed me
Kiki Cuyler---LOVE Cuyler, especially in leadoff spot

The Last Druid

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 11:04 pm

Put Milan 9( 20-16) in CF and Suzuki/Clemente in rf and get a Bradley/Clines Platoon in LF.

Of course, one wonders why we don't have Clemente's best season. WTF?

The Last Druid

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 11:06 pm

I actually prefer Ichiro over Clemente but assume he's not available.

Here's a current example at 80M showing me practicing what I preach.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1110602

schwabdude12

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 11:40 pm

The Last Druid wrote:I actually prefer Ichiro over Clemente but assume he's not available.

Here's a current example at 80M showing me practicing what I preach.

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1110602

Yes, Ichiro's taken (seems like that's been the case in all the leagues I've played in).

Based on the at-bats - I'm guessing you've got some L/R platoons going there? I was trying to tell who you use at what position, but it wasn't that obvious from just seeing the team stats. Interested in knowing what lineups you use against lhp/rhp (and what positions - I think a few players have multiple position eligibility?)

Looks like the kind of team I'd like to try sometimes... always open to different roster combinations.

Thanks for sharing!
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats