Ballpark Platoons

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

motherscratcher

Ballpark Platoons

PostMon May 13, 2013 8:44 pm

I've employed a lot of regular platoons with big BR/BL splits. But I'm starting a league where I'm in Penmar but there are a lot of righty HR leaning parks.

So I'm going with a cheap DH platoon of Matt Nokes to play at home and Cecil Fielder to play on the road. They are both even so it shouldn't matter as much if a righty or lefty is pitching.

Has anyone employed this strategy before? Any chance for some success, or am I doomed?

bontomn

Re: Ballpark Platoons

PostMon May 13, 2013 9:54 pm

I've used both players in platoon roles, but never for each other. I certainly can't quibble with your idea though.

Valen

PostTue May 14, 2013 2:16 pm

If there are sufficient road parks, especially in your division, I like the idea. Would never plan that kind of thing from the start because you never know if you will get sufficient road parks. But if you happen to find yourself in that position could work out.

FUDU

PostWed May 15, 2013 12:01 am

motherscratcher wrote:I've employed a lot of regular platoons with big BR/BL splits. But I'm starting a league where I'm in Penmar but there are a lot of righty HR leaning parks.

So I'm going with a cheap DH platoon of Matt Nokes to play at home and Cecil Fielder to play on the road. They are both even so it shouldn't matter as much if a righty or lefty is pitching.

Has anyone employed this strategy before? Any chance for some success, or am I doomed?

In 200mil I've used ball park platoons a few times, usually with the left overs in the 6-7 mil range. I've had some success with the individual platoons but I've yet to have one to those teams win 90 games. One time I took it as far as having a RHB for a LHP and a separate RHB for a RHP for a road platoon. Not a great use of resources but their numbers were decent.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats