IBB More or Less?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

tkl33

Re: IBB More or Less?

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 10:14 pm

I double do it - extra conservative in the team section, and IBB less in the individual pitcher section.

Yep

Outta Leftfield

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 8:09 pm

tkl33 wrote:I double do it - extra conservative in the team section, and IBB less in the individual pitcher section.

Yep

I used to do it this way--and it typically results in zero IBB all season.

But lately, I've decided that it might not be the best policy. I use a fair number of unbalanced relievers and some unbalanced starters. And it occurred to me that perhaps it might be wise to allow a 6R starter or reliever to walk a LHB with an open base, assuming there is an RHB on deck.

So now I still set the team section extra conservative, but I no longer mark my most unbalanced pitchers "IBB less" in the individual pitcher section. This approach might result in about 20 IBB a year--depending on how many unbalanced pitchers you have. Whether this approach is good policy is hard to tell--and I haven't done extensive checking of my boxscores to find out-- but it makes sense to me.

Outta Leftfield

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 9:02 pm

BTW, this inning is an example of what I'm talking about--that is, my recent decision to allow unbalanced pitchers to walk a dangerous unbalanced hitter from the other side.

The situation is that Ramon Martinez, a 5R starter, is pitching. There are two out, with a runner on second. George Brett is batting. This is Brett's best card, a 6R. Brett absolutely murders RHP. Meanwhile, my pitcher shuts down righties, but struggles against lefties--especially lefties like Brett.

Since I allowed Ramon M to issue an intentional walk, he did walk Brett. Then Ramon pitched to righty Ivan Rodriguez and got him to ground out to short, ending the inning. Check out the bottom of the 4th if you want all the details: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/playbyplay/442756/936

Anyway, it's situations such as these that made me decide to let unbalanced pitchers issue intentional walks. And I think HAL made the right choice in this situation.

STEVEPONEDAL

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 2:11 am

RotationsGeek wrote:
STEVEPONEDAL wrote:Does the box score or play by play show IBBs? Thanks

Don't think so on the box scores,but in the PxP it says "Int Walk"

Thanks
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats