oh where oh where have my 3 programmers gone?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Salty

oh where oh where have my 3 programmers gone?

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 pm

OH where oh where could they be? (the following quote is from Hal's Letter to the community)

"We wanted you all to know that we are employing programmers with more than 50 years of combined experience and have added three more programmers to the project. Please note that is three more programmers than The Sporting News had on the project."

Can anyone explain to me where these people are? Do they even exist?

Im confused b/c after 7 months I dont see anything different from how things happened at TSN-
Supposedly there are 3 times as many people working on things for us;

YET NO LIVE DRAFT (not even an update)
NO IMPROVEMENT IN CUSTOMER SERVICE
CANT EVEN GET QUESTIONS ANSWERED IN THE FAQs

What gives?

kmkravitz

Re: oh where oh where have my 3 programmers gone?

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 pm

Maybe it was 50 programmers each with one year experience?

PJ Axelsson

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 pm

They are busy trying to restore Fantasim...

Valen

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 am

Guys, we all know what happens when you get multiple people on a project. They have to communicate. That means regular meetings. Maybe they all meet daily. Then someone in the meeting has to write up what was discussed in the meeting so it can be presented to management. There there is the meeting with management to discuss the report. Then there is the meeting with coworkers to discuss managements comments on the previously mentioned meeting. And finally there is the meeting to discuss why nothing is getting accomplished in the meetings.

So in the end triple the people means half the work. :lol:

Seriously though, have to agree we are not seeing the kind of pace we should if there really are 3 full time people working on this. What I suspect is there are 3 people who spend some time working on this but it is just one of their responsibilities. Been there done that as a programmer. You get called in to managers office and told you are now assigned to whatever project but none of your other projects is taken off your plate. However we were led to believe there would be 3 dedicated programmers and based on results hard to believe that is the case.

Though another possibility is those extra programmers were only brought in to fix the immediate problems they were having and once the site was basically running consistently those programmers were released or assigned to other projects. If that is the case then they could argue they did not lie with that announcement you reference.

Chuck1234

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am

The programmers are playing by different rules, therefore the 'programming' followed by a ** or * mean nothing and the programming game is not turned on but playing by different rules we were not aware of. I just want to know why the e-mail isn't working!!! Is it my computer? My 'compose message' is followed by a **.

Sincerely,
Delivery Boy...

ROBERTLATORRE

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 pm

kmkravitz wrote:Maybe it was 50 programmers each with one year experience?

Old IT project management corollary, "programming is like having a baby, 9 women can't have 1 baby in 30 days, 12 programmers can't write 12 months of code in 1 month."

Boy I love programming humor...

visick

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 6:23 pm

Or perhaps they employed the IT company of

Moe, Larry & Curly?

agabriel

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Having 3 programmers ensures that 2 will always be in agreement--that the other programmer doesn't know what they're talking about.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats