Correct me if I am wrong

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

nevdully's

Re: Correct me if I am wrong

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 2:27 am

The * and ** do not apply in our game...I know on the site it reads it does...but if somehow you find the rules we're actually playing under, some are on a wiki page, some in the cd rom game, some hidden in a mysterious black box never to actually be seen (this is also where communication and customer service is rumored to be) you will need to read super advanced max base running rules, not to be confused with advanced base running rules or super de-luper mega base running rules which are only in effect on Tuesdays and Thursdays, or the much more frequently used base "ruining" rules... :roll:

Valen

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 2:30 am

CARD ADJUSTMENTS - Certain portions of card results are overriden. For example, say you turn on the "More baserunning decisions" Maximum Rule. If you get a Single* result the "*" (which means that all baserunners advance just one base) is ignored and a more complex and realistic baserunning system is used.

The more baserunning decisions is checked on that wiki page. I assume that means the * and the ** are ignored and the above applies.

JOSEPHKENDALL

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 am

Valen wrote:
CARD ADJUSTMENTS - Certain portions of card results are overriden. For example, say you turn on the "More baserunning decisions" Maximum Rule. If you get a Single* result the "*" (which means that all baserunners advance just one base) is ignored and a more complex and realistic baserunning system is used.

The more baserunning decisions is checked on that wiki page. I assume that means the * and the ** are ignored and the above applies.

That is what we have been told in the past.

I understand Salty's feelings. I agree.

I also agree with Nev about the "black box" stuff. I don't think we will ever be told how those things work since they consider it proprietary.

Salty

PostMon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 pm

I think we ALL (meaning people that play the game) agree that we should know what rules pertaining to the cards we are playing under.

Im 99% sure BP Doubles and Triples were turned on at TSN- now I really dont know here at SoM- but certainly wouldn't go by a screenshot from the CD-ROM game.

Im also not certain why it would be proprietary (other than them saying it)to tell us things like the Streaks thing which clearly exist and a number of the other 'black box' items- we are not asking for the ability to program- just the knowledge of what things are actually in play.

How come I dont see 3 times or even any more results than we used to have with 3 FULL time programmers on the job?

danielz

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Valen wrote: Then depending on whether you have running set to aggressive or whatever he has some internal percentage that he will go for it. so aggressive might mean try it 90% of the time. So 1-18 on the split card and the runner is going. 19-20 he is staying put. Percent chances of success should also be factored in to the decision but I am betting the decision to take extra base is more than just chances of success.

I would rather have a hard number.
If I check extra conservative ALWAYS send runner 1-18
Conservative 1-17
normal 1-16
Aggressive 1-14
extra aggressive 1-12

Then I know what I am getting when I check a box.

Valen

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 12:00 am

If I am trying to duplicate how I play the board game I am right there with you danielz. Though if it is going to be that simple then drop the aggressive or whatever label and just let me specify a number. Challenge if chances are this number or higher.

A couple problems though. Sometimes when playing board game I would vary what number I was comfortable challenging at depending on score and other circumstances. Sometimes just based on a hunch. Another factor is HAL is in theory not trying to duplicate how I would play the game but how it might unfold in real life. Such a simple mechanism like challenge whenever chances are 1-16 or better would never allow the simulation to duplicate OF assists. And though I will admit I am not sure just how that is done the contribution an OFer makes with assists needs to be part of that players portfolio.

It is similar to the stolen base scenario except there is no jump involved. Almost every team regardless of catcher or the arm of the catcher has about the same opponents stolen base rate. The arm rating mostly only impacts how many people steal. I am not sure how I would implement a better system. But I think somehow part of the impact of starting Napoli or Pierzynski behind the plate should be the fact 80% of runners are going to be safe and part of the benefit of having a Rodriguez, Yadier, or Bench behind the plate should be a higher percent of runners thrown out.

In a similar manner the OF throwing should involve more than just how often he gets challenged but how accurate he is with throwing people out. I hesitate to say a lot about what I perceive as a weakness in the game because quite honestly I do not have any good ideas for a better way to handle it.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats