Open for discussion: Worst superstar card in Strat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

sjudd

Re: Open for discussion: Worst superstar card in Strat

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 2:08 pm

Crabby Appleton wrote:And I still do not understand how that made him miss games.

Maybe he should have used pine tar on the rhoids.

bkeat23

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 4:38 pm

Crabby Appleton wrote:
Whoopycat wrote:I think it is because Brett had hemorrhoids and Trout's injuries were of a more serious nature.

How embarrassing. Even 40+ years later fans still recall he had hemorrhoids. That is the first thing I think of when I hear his name. And I still do not understand how that made him miss games.

I was never the baseball player George Brett was. Not even Mendoza. I was a really good athlete in the late 70s.
I've had bouts of roids that kept me from showing up for a desk job, never mind playing baseball.
You can literally have a vein protruding from your anus that looks like a lump. That's a nerve sensitive area for most of us.

Hack Wilson

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 10:57 pm

Yikes! Too much information at first glance, BUT longer view, appreciate your authenticity and candor, wow. :)

Crabby Appleton

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 1:51 am

Yeah, Wow. I had something once I thought were hemorrhoids, but they were just a minor inconvenience. So, obviously it wasn’t truly that. Sorry you had to endure it.

kev

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 10:34 am

I know her is not high priced but I think the worst card I have ever seen is Rudolph, Ken (1970). a lot of unproductive outs too!

for high vale cards:

Sutton, Don (1972) just feels overpriced for what you get
and
Knoblauch, Chuck (1996) seems to have those elements that drive up the price but in the end it just doesn't justify the price

Bunze0

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 8:49 pm

[quote="kev"]I know her is not high priced but I think the worst card I have ever seen is Rudolph, Ken (1970). a lot of unproductive outs too!

for high vale cards:

Sutton, Don (1972) just feels overpriced for what you get
and
Knoblauch, Chuck (1996) seems to have those elements that drive up the price but in the end it just doesn't justify the price.

rudolph is especially good vs lefties. lol

Outta Leftfield

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 10:02 pm

How about Lefty Grove, 1931? I think his pretty mundane and rarely used 8.89M card seriously under-represents the value of Grove's performance.
What did Grove accomplish in 1931? Grove went 31-4. He also saved 5 games, so he had a positive impact on 36 wins. Grove posted a 2.06 ERA against a league average of 4.38, amounting to an ERA+ of 217. Sandy Koufax's best ERA+ was 190, so by that measure, Grove excelled Koufax at his best. Grove also led the league in wins, shutouts, strikeouts, and WHIP. Grove won the MVP award by a virtually unanimous vote, beating out Lou Gehrig—in a year when Lou drove in an AL record 185 runs. This shows that contemporary observers were mighty impressed with what they saw Grove achieve.
Doesn't that performance merit a genuinely spiffy card?
I think Grove's mediocre card is part of a larger ATG pattern, which is to understate the value of pitching performances in the 1930s, an era dominated by hitters. A similar case could be made for their valuation of pitchers from 1920-1929, the first decade of the lively-ball era. ATG's top pitching cards are disproportionately assigned to the deadball era and pre-1901, when HR were scare and BA was often quite low. A strong case could be made that ATG doesn't make sufficient adjustment for the hitting conditions of different eras of baseball.
Grove's 8.89M card for 1931 is the second highest priced of the 1930s, with the highest being Hubbell at 9.00M for 1933. OTOH, there are seven pre-1920 SPs (deadball era) who cost 12M+. Five pre-1920 SPs cost 11M+. Six cost 10M+. And a whole slew of deadball era pitchers cost more than 9M. Were every one of these pitchers really worth more than any pitcher who pitched between 1930 and 1939? Or were many of these deadball era SPs just plying their trade in an era favoring pitchers over hitters?
BTW, I agree with earlier posts contending that Bob Gibson deserves a better card for his amazing 1968 season, with its microscopic 1.12 ERA.

patrickmac

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

Lefty Grove is an EXCELLENT example.

Carl Hubbell as well.

Gibson would figure to dominate 80M leagues, but when you get to 200 or 250, he's just a guy.

After one of the greatest pitching seasons in MLB history.

DonSutton

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 pm

patrickmac wrote:Lefty Grove is an EXCELLENT example.

Carl Hubbell as well.

Gibson would figure to dominate 80M leagues, but when you get to 200 or 250, he's just a guy.

After one of the greatest pitching seasons in MLB history.

When you get to 200 and above, ALL pitchers are "just a guy"

Crabby Appleton

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 10:24 am

patrickmac wrote:Gibson, he's just a guy.

That needs to be a team name. He's Just A Guy. Nathan Lane can be the manager!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ELYPbUH1E
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats