won my division with

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

scorehouse

won my division with

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 5:46 pm

-186 negative rolls? in the 2000 Mystery game. don't know if that matters? but usually with dice this negative r basement dwelling. 2 outta my last Champs had negative dice but closer to -50 which is in range. the other was +160 and rolled.

Hack Wilson

Re: won my division with

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 7:20 pm

It's all in the exact rolls. Negative dice rolls usually may disfavor you, but if a particular up-sized percentage of the actual rolls land in your favor (meaning, bad pitching results on the opponents card), then you benefit. It's not so black and white to look at positive and negative rolls, it's actually where the dice rolls on that specific plate appearance, whether or not it's pitcher or batter. Probability factors totally in this, but there is a spectrum of outcomes.

scorehouse

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 9:17 pm

what's the probability of 3 1-2 Hrs and 1 1-4 triple over 2 consecutive innings?

Hack Wilson

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 9:23 pm

Geez, I don't know. I'll leave that to others smarter than me to figure out. :) But I see what you mean, I do.

Outta Leftfield

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 10:16 am

For what it's worth, an average season produces a bit over total 6200 dice rolls. 186 negative dice rolls might sound like a lot, and it's more than what one usually sees in a season, but for an entire season, 186 negative rolls amounts to 3% of total rolls.
This suggests the validity of Hack's point. If someone's rolls happen to land, more often than not, the juicy parts of the hitters' or pitchers' cards, this might matter as much or more than which card the rolls land on.
I would speculate that in a 200M league +/- dice rolls might matter more than in an 80M league, since at 200M rolls on the pitchers' cards will mostly be outs, while rolls on the hitters cards will most often be hits.

egvrich

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 12:37 pm

Outta Leftfield wrote:For what it's worth, an average season produces a bit over total 6200 dice rolls. 186 negative dice rolls might sound like a lot, and it's more than what one usually sees in a season, but for an entire season, 186 negative rolls amounts to 3% of total rolls.
This suggests the validity of Hack's point. If someone's rolls happen to land, more often than not, the juicy parts of the hitters' or pitchers' cards, this might matter as much or more than which card the rolls land on.
I would speculate that in a 200M league +/- dice rolls might matter more than in an 80M league, since at 200M rolls on the pitchers' cards will mostly be outs, while rolls on the hitters cards will most often be hits.

Agree as well. The lower the cap, the worse the pitchers are (more so than the hitters IMHO) so if your hitter is facing crappy relievers and the rolls go on the pitcher's card, that's a good thing.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats