Hit and Out

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

scorehouse

Hit and Out

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 9:54 am

Why does HAL love the H&R? playoff game, top of the first, leadoff single. then HAL pulls the H&R? of course out. my settings is on conservative? didn't matter. other team started 11-1 on hitters card. off to the races!

MaxPower

Re: Hit and Out

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 7:10 pm

He almost never uses hit and run on my teams and I have it set to normal. However I also have most of my starters set to don't hit and run.

Outta Leftfield

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 9:34 am

I think the hit-and-run as implemented by SOM is a bad percentage play. So I always mark my H&R Team Strategy as Extra Conservative and all my players as Don't H&R. The one exception for a player might be a light hitting utility INF with a B H&R rating.
As a result, my typical team year results in 0 H&R attempts.
Why do I think the H&R is a bad play? Typical league BAs for H&R are around .220, and that represents not only BA but also OPB, since there are no walks with the H&R. And with HRs impossible and doubles & triples rare, SLG is also not much more than .220.
So, why give HAL a chance to H&R, if your OPS is likely to be not much more than .440?

labratory

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 9:51 pm

On my latest team I have three players set to hit&run more, team set to Very Aggressive.
And we've hit and run 7 times in 100 games.

Meanwhile 14 bunts when set to Extra Conservative with no players set to "more" and all but two set to "don't"

Outta Leftfield

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 10:46 am

labratory wrote:Meanwhile 14 bunts when set to Extra Conservative with no players set to "more" and all but two set to "don't"

In a DH league, I typically get 0 bunts when I set my team to Extra Conservative and all my players to don't. So my guess is that those 14 bunts are coming from your two players who aren't set on don't.

southpawcom

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 9:02 pm

I don't set any settings for H&R. And I'm happy when Hal works that play.

My experience is that one-half of the time when the H&R result is an out, that runner on 2B ends up scoring. (Sure beats the old "Batter misses pitch..." board game results.)

Get good H&R guys, and let Hal.

FrankieT

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 11:59 pm

I agree on all that was said on HnR being a generally poor percentage play.
But Bruce (Steffek, TLD, Petrosian) once did provide me with a counter-argument for its occasional utility in more cases due to one thing: it can take a strong pitcher's card out of the mix.

That said, still seldom use it except on poor hitters and with good base stealers behind him

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats