Roger Connor, mister clutch

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

MaxPower

Re: Roger Connor, mister clutch

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 7:43 pm

Yeah but gbA isn't in the pool so there's no easy way to get that data into a spreadsheet.

FrankieT

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 10:08 pm

Spreadsheets Shmedsheets
Sounds like old magic to me
;)

egvrich

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 2:22 pm

MaxPower wrote:Yeah but gbA isn't in the pool so there's no easy way to get that data into a spreadsheet.

What he said ^^^^^^^

We need to be able to sort by that.

WeatherNut

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 4:39 pm

...But gbA indeed is not tracked in the DD Pool grid...

GBA is used as a part of NERP, so those extra outs due to GBA are accounted for in NERP. HOWEVER, NERP does not account for the rest of the outs used up by a batter. RC/27 does account for outs used, but doesn't account for GBA. So, both fall short of being a complete evaluation tool.

barrmorris

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 5:05 pm

MaxPower wrote:Yeah but gbA isn't in the pool so there's no easy way to get that data into a spreadsheet.

This spreadsheet has the gbA as well as other gb and flyball distinctions. Unfortunately, I didn't think to add clutch when I wrote my program and haven't gone back to fix that yet. Known errors in this file for some 1985 cards.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

southpawcom

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 3:29 pm

barrmorris wrote:

This spreadsheet has the gbA as well as other gb and flyball distinctions. Unfortunately, I didn't think to add clutch when I wrote my program and haven't gone back to fix that yet. Known errors in this file for some 1985 cards.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Goldmine! Thanks for sharing it.

...nothing to see here, rivals....move along..... ;)

Outta Leftfield

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 5:30 pm

southpawcom wrote:Goldmine! Thanks for sharing it.

...nothing to see here, rivals....move along..... ;)

Wowza! You're not kidding southpaw. I have tended to ignore clutch because so many of my favorite hitters (mostly top RBI men) have negative clutch, and I just haven't wanted to be bothered. But Roger Connor has really gotten my attention.

And it's wonderful to have this gbA info. When it's a close choice between two hitters, clutch and gbA can definitely be deciding factors.

hollywood

PostSun Feb 12, 2023 1:57 pm

I don't mind if it's slightly negative clutch, it probably doesn't come into play very often enough to make a difference, but if for example I had a small ball team where every run is important, negative clutch (vast majority of the best speedy hitters) always results in an out in clutch situations, immediately ending whatever rally I was hoping for. But on the other hand, if the batter has a positive or neutral clutch, when the dice roll lands on a hit or an $out, it scores a run and the inning continues, more chances to score again.

hollywood

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 7:47 am

This team really excelled in cashing in on clutch hitting situations. It will finish with a winning record, but failed to make the playoffs. A fun, interesting exercise, but somewhat disappointing that it didn't achieve greatness, just "goodness".

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/misc/1716652

Hack Wilson

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 7:50 pm

I dream about a DiamondDope that would sort players based on all their DD attributes, offensive and defensive, filtered by price. (Without having to download a confusing Excel sheet.)
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats